A Thai Woman Hit My Car, No Problem.

expat

will be out of a car and need to find a way to get to work.

Come on now....I was feeling bad for ya with the accident and all and then this? Bangkok has to be one of the easiest cities in the world to find transportation.

As far as losing the car for a week, I'd bet the work that is to be done won't take very long, I'm talking hours at the most. Why not tell them that when the part comes in, you'll bring the car in the morning and pick it up at night. Can't hurt to ask.

Come on now....I was feeling bad for ya with the accident and all and then this? Bangkok has to be one of the easiest cities in the world to find transportation.

You presume that I live in Bangkok (I don't), and that there is public transport to my workplace (there isn't). It is indeed, as I said, a bummer, and will end up costing me money--a substantial amount.

As far as losing the car for a week, I'd bet the work that is to be done won't take very long, I'm talking hours at the most. Why not tell them that when the part comes in, you'll bring the car in the morning and pick it up at night. Can't hurt to ask.

The repair shop doesn't need any parts, they need to do body work which takes time--bending, shaping, bondo-ing, sanding, painting, letting paint dry. The estimate of one week was by my insurance agent. I hope it doesn't take that long.

Yes I was.....my apologies. Somebody has a tag of assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups. I fell into that.

More believable now then that the same guy is the same broker used by both of you.

Bicycles, gf's, buddies you work with, brother of gf, work from home......I'm sure you've thought of these but here are a few options.

I have options--but it's going to cost me one way or another. I of course will try to minimize the cost.

I actually prefer this system--in the US it's almost like you get rewarded for being in an accident. Over here, I try extra hard to avoid them because I know that even if it's not my fault, it will end up costing me.

Interesting thread. Here you have a guy that has an accident while driving in Thailand, supposedly the worst thing that can happen to a farang, and all he has is positive things to say about the incident (other than he has to pay for a “loaner†since his insurance does not include that option). All he gets is several responses that are trying to convince him he must getting ripped off or scammed some how, ranging from there must be problem with the adjustor (that is what those guys are called by the way) as he represented both insurance companies, the lazy Thais in body shop could do the repair in a couple of hours if they wanted to, and my personal favorite is the fact that as the Thai person that hit him actually had first class insurance they must be “quite well-offâ€Â.

Anyway, glad it worked out for the OP and I hope he can find a car to rent for week at a good price. Not sure were he is located, but in the major metropolitan areas, there are independent car rental places that have pretty cheap rates (and the cars to go with them).

:beer:

Th

...in the US it's almost like you get rewarded for being in an accident.

:surprised:

In the US: if you get into 3 accidents within a period of 3-5 years, your insurance rates will probably go up, even if the accidents are not your fault because you'd be considered accident prone -- at least that's my understanding -- and you could get cancelled if they're your fault, although many companies will forgive you for the first one. And most companies will charge extra if you want rental car coverage. I don't know where you got the idea that "in the US it's almost like you get rewarded for being in an accident." :dunno:

Archived