A Thai Woman Hit My Car, No Problem.

expat

Things turned out ok--no 'You're in our country so you're in the wrong' stuff here.

I'm aware that few on Thai360 believe the 'farangs are always wrong' myth, but the story has a couple amusing twists, so I thought I'd post it here. KS if it's in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

I was passing through an intersection going through a green light, and the woman had been waiting at the red light at an island in the middle of the intersection coming from my right, i.e. she was driving west and I was driving north.

She didn't see me, so drove into me hitting me at the back wheel on the right side of my car, causing minor damage and taking off her front license plate. I stopped and went over and chatted with her and her husband. They got out and surveyed the damage and asked me how much I wanted.

I said 5000 baht. I'm no expert, but I felt I could get it fixed for that much. She offered 2000, and I refused. She then kind of offered 4,000, but the husband looked uncomfortable, and they called their insurance agent, which was ok with me.

I would have preferred the cash, because insurance repairs always take a lot longer than my own mechanic (who could do it in a couple days I'm sure), but c'est la vie. It also was a bad move on their part as their insurance will go up way more than 5000 baht, but who am I to tell them what to do.

I took some pictures and then drove my car to the side of the road, but she left hers in the middle as we waited for our respective agents to come.

Here's the amusing/strange part. After a while, she walked over to my car and started telling me how bad her husband was and how he was blaming her for the accident and being very rude to her. Then she started telling me how bad Thai men are. She actually asked me for tissue to dry her tears (thank god I had some in the car). I tried to console her and tell her it was a minor accident and everyone makes mistakes, but there really wasn't much I could do. She might have been playing me, or even have been sent over by the husband--who knows?

Eventually they brought their car over to the side of the road behind mine and the insurance agent arrived (turns out it was the same guy for both of us even though we had different companies). The husband then offers me 500 baht for my loss of time! I refused--just didn't feel comfortable at that point.

Eventually I got the paper I needed to get my car repaired, and moved on. Total time, less than 90 minutes.

This is about the third time I've been hit by someone, and never a hint of the 'farang is always wrong' syndrome.

If you bought your insurance through a broker, then the guy that should up probably worked for it rather then the insurance company itself. It would be not uncommon for people to have used the same broker; therefore the person sent out to the accident would the same for both parties.

TH

thanks for sharing. but no I'm not surprised the one that drove into you accepted her fault be it a thai women or otherwise. sorry that it had happened to you several times although with a decent outcome.

my only such experience was also with a thai women, but here I bumped into her ever so slightly as the brake was released a bit accidentally while waiting at a red light. as no visible damage available she just drove away with a smile & so did I releaved not to go through any procedures. if she had insisted I would have slipped her a purple no issue - well if a bj was included LOL (kidding) :hubba:

Things turned out ok--no 'You're in our country so you're in the wrong' stuff here.

I'm aware that few on Thai360 believe the 'farangs are always wrong' myth, but the story has a couple amusing twists, so I thought I'd post it here. KS if it's in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

I was passing through an intersection going through a green light, and the woman had been waiting at the red light at an island in the middle of the intersection coming from my right, i.e. she was driving west and I was driving north.

She didn't see me, so drove into me hitting me at the back wheel on the right side of my car, causing minor damage and taking off her front license plate. I stopped and went over and chatted with her and her husband. They got out and surveyed the damage and asked me how much I wanted.

I said 5000 baht. I'm no expert, but I felt I could get it fixed for that much. She offered 2000, and I refused. She then kind of offered 4,000, but the husband looked uncomfortable, and they called their insurance agent, which was ok with me.

I would have preferred the cash, because insurance repairs always take a lot longer than my own mechanic (who could do it in a couple days I'm sure), but c'est la vie. It also was a bad move on their part as their insurance will go up way more than 5000 baht, but who am I to tell them what to do.

I took some pictures and then drove my car to the side of the road, but she left hers in the middle as we waited for our respective agents to come.

Here's the amusing/strange part. After a while, she walked over to my car and started telling me how bad her husband was and how he was blaming her for the accident and being very rude to her. Then she started telling me how bad Thai men are. She actually asked me for tissue to dry her tears (thank god I had some in the car). I tried to console her and tell her it was a minor accident and everyone makes mistakes, but there really wasn't much I could do. She might have been playing me, or even have been sent over by the husband--who knows?

Eventually they brought their car over to the side of the road behind mine and the insurance agent arrived (turns out it was the same guy for both of us even though we had different companies). The husband then offers me 500 baht for my loss of time! I refused--just didn't feel comfortable at that point.

Eventually I got the paper I needed to get my car repaired, and moved on. Total time, less than 90 minutes.

This is about the third time I've been hit by someone, and never a hint of the 'farang is always wrong' syndrome.

That is extremely amazing and encouraging. I assume they were quite well-off!

Update: I brought the paper I got to my insurance broker, and she confirmed that it's all legit. She said they only issue that kind of document when the other party is at fault. She recommended a garage to do the work, and will contact the insurance company for me to get the work approved.

The main bummer is it probably will take a week to do the work, during which time I will be out of a car and need to find a way to get to work. It's not like in the US where they'd have to provide a loaner car.

I also asked about the guy who came out to the accident who worked for both parties' insurance. It's actually a company that the insurance companies hire to go out to the scene of accidents. I guess to cover the whole country, instead of having claims guys everywhere, they hire subcontractors--and both insurance companies hired the same subcontractor in this case. (This is the best I can figure things out.) If anyone is *that* interested, I'll go to my car and get the name of the company.

Archived