What was JJ thinking?

Wallenda

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hands up, my bad. I stuck it in Nightlife because I thought the main interest would be in the Pattaya/Walking Street bits.

Then JJ became the unwitting star and there was far too much of the little posh girl skriking about her boyfriends chronic.

It's big of you to come clean about this carew. So many fail to take responsibility for their actions the days.

And you may be right about Walking Street. Tonight's episode does indeed focus on Police Volunteers getting to grips with obnoxious tourists. Some are predicting a major crackdown in Pattaya because of all the attention.

In related news: Gavin Hill has been obliged to make a tactical withdrawal from Thailand...

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/09/21/camera-director-of-big-trouble-in-thailand-makes-tactical-withdrawal/

In related news: Gavin Hill has been obliged to make a tactical withdrawal from Thailand...

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/09/21/camera-director-of-big-trouble-in-thailand-makes-tactical-withdrawal/

Quote: "The Marines are behind me thank god..."

Why? Is someone threatening them with a slingshot? (only joking boys.. :) )

"The Foreign Office advisory warns traveller to ensure that the people whom they hire jet skis from are reputable."

LOL, how is a tourist supposed to know who's reputable and who's not. Even if there were a licensing system it would be a joke based on backhanders viz: "In almost all cases the police are called they make the tourists pay out and then they get the commission from the jet ski operators."

I just read this article. Very interesting. In the same way that JJ (in my assessment) completely created the fiasco by 1. fabricating damage, 2. abducting the scam victim by force 3. phoning up the film crew to come videotape the incident knowing 1 and 2 were true, and 4. threatening everyone with a gun when things weren't going his way, even knowing he's on camera.... the Thai response echoes his own 'handling' of the incident:

The scammer was caught red-handed on video tape doing what everyone knows he does: scamming, and pulling out a gun and threatening people with it. The result is: he is free and on the street, and will surely get off because his dad has power. And the Thai authorities, who we know are not going to pursue him, instead want to imprison the filmmakers who caught him. Right is wrong and wrong is right. Do they wear pants on their heads and hats on their ass?

It's as if Thailand has decided, now that one of theirs has been caught red handed with the whole world watching, to pull out its own gun and wave it around.

Given the opportunity to fix the situation and do the right thing, they opted instead to do the wrong thing. Let the crook go, and punish the messenger. Given a chance to try to save their image to tourists, they chose to instead further damage it. For ... JJ. What's this about, saving face? Well, the face is looking worse and worse to the world as a direct result of these kinds of decisions. All they need now is a Great Leader.

I notice how the article keeps describing JJ and his clan as "Thai mafia". I'm outside the country and don't have any insight into what is and isn't considered 'mafia' there. Is that a fair description in JJ's case? And is it right to say that the jet ski operations in Phuket are run by 'mafia'? (are there legit jet ski operators there?)

Archived