What was JJ thinking?

Wallenda

In case you missed it in the other thread, this is about the big jet ski scam(?) confrontation between "JJ" (a Thai who rents jet skis to tourists) and some British Marines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Bjmemu474

So my question is, what was JJ thinking?

We know that he had been interviewed the day before by the director of the tv show about this supposed jet ski scam.

We know that he had a situation develop with a damaged jet ski, and phoned up the director to get him to come over with his camera and film the scene.

We know he wanted 40,000 baht payment for the damage.

We know there was disagreement and that at one point JJ went to a back room and emerged with a gun, waving the camera to stop shooting.

We don't know for sure if the damage was real or not.

We don't know what the real cost would be to fix it.

Still, I wonder what was going on in JJ's head.

Why would he invite the crew to come film him confronting British Marines, rather than for instance some more typical 20something tourists?

Why was he actively taking part in this filming? What did he think was going to be the benefit for him?

Why would he go back and come back out with a gun drawn, knowing he was being filmed by another Brit with a professional film crew?

Of course I realize that some of these things didn't involve any rational 'why'.

Still I'm curious to know what JJ was thinking, or if he wasn't, what he was feeling that made him do these things.

This guy might be the internet's answer to Gorgeous George.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's also worth pointing out that there is no disagreement that at least in the case of the US Marine video, that the jet ski was damaged. Whether it was worth 40k or not is another matter. In this particular case, I think the sergeant was rather happy it so high, just made it worse for the poor kid.

In past years, Siam Country Club in Pattaya had a similar racket going with damaging the golf carts. They now will only let you drive them (normally caddie drives) if you sign a paper that specifies how much you pay for each type of damage. I understand that this stuff has started a similar effort with the jet ski rentals in Phuket, i.e., some sort of standardized damage payments.

TH

Even if you don't take a proper camera with you, just about every phone has a camera in it and spending a few minutes taking pictures of the 'ski before renting, and making sure the renter sees you doing this, will put him off trying to claim existing damage as new.

It's also worth pointing out that there is no disagreement that at least in the case of the US Marine video, that the jet ski was damaged.

How do you know? I missed that. Not doubting you, just wondering where you saw it's true.

How easy are these jetskis to damage? (I mean, while riding one, of course)

Even if you don't take a proper camera with you, just about every phone has a camera in it and spending a few minutes taking pictures of the 'ski before renting, and making sure the renter sees you doing this, will put him off trying to claim existing damage as new.

Probably a good idea to ask him if he minds first. Otherwise he may think you are questioning his integrity and tell you to fuck off.

Archived