Whoremonger Survey

sinsin2

i do agree with you on just about all your points.

it's just that i was bought up to understand that 'whore,tart,slut' etc were insulting.

i was taught this years before i ever met any BG's.

and as you i like to cultivate good friendships with the girls.

i have friends that i slept with 2 years ago and never since,but when i walk into their bar,i get a big hug and kiss and a lot of attention is showered on me.

i know there are people out there who believe in the 3-4 f's,but not me,i like the friendship thing.

i go to patong in 7 weeks and i have already had an e-mail from a good friend saying that her and 2 more of my friends want to pay their own bar fine and the 4 of us to have a good night out,no strings attached,if i want any of them for the night no problem,if i don't no problem.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If some guy calls your daughter a whore would you try and discern whether or not he meant it as an insult. Some words are insulting whether the person saying it meant it as an insult or not. Most girls would react to that word the same way as your daughter too unless they're so used to being put down they don't care anymore.

Daddydog said <If some guy calls your daughter a whore would you try and discern whether or not he meant it as an insult>

Yes, I always try to discern what people mean when they speak. Without meanings, words are just sounds. But, in any case, he did NOT call any specific girl a whore. He used the word to describe girls who sell sex for money...which, by the way, is it's definition.

Daddydog said... <Some words are insulting whether the person saying it meant it as an insult or not. >

Not true. If I go up to a black person and say angrily, "You Filthy Nigger!!!" insulting, but if another black person walks up to his best friend and says, "What's up, my nigger" not insulting. Tone, context, and relationships have much more to do with what is insulting than the mere spelling of the word.

Now, look again at the context of the original post. Where in there do you see him speaking in an insulting or derogatory way about a specific girl? You don't. Instead he used the word strictly by its definition and then goes on to say how much he loves them and enjoys spending time with them.

Now, how about your daughter. She gets married to a lovely young man. Instead of honey or darling, she calls him "buttmunch" as a term of endearment, and his nickname for her is "whore" This always causes them to giggle and kiss. You still think he's insulting her?

We are not computers or robots. We are allowed to reason and analyze. Words are just sounds until WE attach meanings. We attach meanings based on definitions and context. There is no absolute about it.

So, lighten up, buttmunch. smile.gif

Yes, I always try to discern what people mean when they speak. Without meanings, words are just sounds.

Yes, but you can't just arbitrarily choose to change the accepted meaning of a word.

Not true. If I go up to a black person and say angrily, "You Filthy Nigger!!!" insulting, but if another black person walks up to his best friend and says, "What's up, my nigger" not insulting. Tone, context, and relationships have much more to do with what is insulting than the mere spelling of the word.

You picked two extremes. How about a non-black waiter comes up and asks politely "What would you niggers like to eat?"

Now, how about your daughter. She gets married to a lovely young man. Instead of honey or darling, she calls him "buttmunch" as a term of endearment, and his nickname for her is "whore" This always causes them to giggle and kiss. You still think he's insulting her?

Actually yes, he probably is insulting her. If he is not insulting her then the word "whore" has become meaningless to them. If he were to use the word "whore" in a derogatory way to someone else how would his wife feel? Jealous? I don't think so. If that were my daughter I would ask him to never address her that way, especially when I was around.

Convention and practicality dictate that we don't stray too far from the accepted meaning of words, unless the context is very clear.

He used the word to describe girls who sell sex for money...which, by the way, is it's definition.

Not exactly. Demimondaine, prostitute, hooker, whore, all technically mean about the same thing. However, they all have different connotations and which word you choose says something about your attitudes toward the profession.

I didn't think the word "whore" in the original post was offensive given the general tone of whole message. However, I think it's a reasonable request to ask that the word not be overused or applied indiscriminately.

On a similar note to FarangDang. He beat me to it.

Yes words have meanings and they are defined in dictionaries. Let?s keep using those definitions and not degrade the English language anymore.

Tone can?t change a definition of a word; it can only help you decide in cases of multiple definitions of a word which definition applies. In your second example of the use of the word nigger it is not insulting because the two people have developed a relationship where it wouldn?t be, but it also has a different definition in that case. The word nigger has developed two meanings (either slang or by eubonics). One definition is insulting, one not insulting. That same black person might be offended if another black person he didn?t know or a white person said in a friendly manner ?What?s up, my nigger?? He wouldn?t be sure what context it was being used in because they are strangers. But that?s only because the word has developed multiple meanings. Because of racial sensitivities in this case there still may be some doubt as to what was meant. If there were only one meaning to the word then there would be no doubt.

In your other examples as well you have chosen to have the definition of words changed by common agreement between the people involved. So by mutual agreement they have developed their own language system. They have changed the dictionary definitions of those words. How could anyone else understand what they were saying except by using the standard definitions and drawing their own conclusions. It would be rather silly to not use proper definitions of words on a discussion board and think that other people would know what was meant by it.

Often slang meanings are opposite to the proper definition. If I said your examples were bad (has a slang definition of good). Would that mean that they were not good or that they were good? There are two possible definitions, tone might help to decide which one is meant. Would you assume the proper definition of the word first or the slang? When you communicate with people you don?t know, especially in this medium, the proper definition should have priority.

At any rate in this case the proper definition of the word whore is known, since there is only one definition. The majority of people here would probably say that it has more of an offensive connotation than using the term bargirl. The degree to which they determine the word to be demeaning would be based on their perception derived from their upbringing (religion, culture, morals, etc.). If you wanted to be polite and not offend anyone you would not be using a word that could be taken as offensive (maybe not insulting, since not directed at anyone). You?re right he doesn?t call any one particular girl a whore, he calls them all whores. Which is worse?

None of this changes that he used the word correctly by its definition. It's the connotation you are applying to the definition which upsets you. The word was used correctly, and not as slang.

So, the argument is over connotation and context. I never said that the word "whore" should be thrown around indiscriminately. But because it's a fact that the connotation of a word can be changed depending on when and how it's used it's unfair to the original poster to say "BAD WORD!!! YOU NO USE. YOU BAD MAN!!!" regardless of the way he uses it. Nobody has made the argument that anything else in the post points to the word being used to show the negative connotation you apply to it.

My examples of the word nigger were extreme. But they were to show that no word in itself always means the same thing, as was argued. The fact that you use other examples to show even more ways the word could be taken only proves my point. Context makes all the difference. The context in which he used the word whore makes it very clear that it was not meant to be insulting to anybody. That others choose to ignore this and blindly connotate it not by the posters meaning but by their own is what causes the problem.

handyman writes... <At any rate in this case the proper definition of the word whore is known, since there is only one definition. >

Actually, there are many more than one. Ever heard of being "a fashion whore", or it being used to describe a man who spends endless hours at work, or being used to describe someone who brown noses looking for favors of any kind? An artist who "sells out" is a whore. None of these involve sex for money, yet have become recognizable uses for the word.

handyman writes <The majority of people here would probably say that it (whore) has more of an offensive connotation than using the term bargirl. >

Yes, they would, if the word were used in a vacuum. But it wasn't. It was used in a context which changes the connotation. Do we really need to sanitize everything so much for the sake of political correctness that reading becomes boring and unadventurous? The language is awesome in that it can be used so many ways to add color and wit. Why is it necessary that we dumb everything down to a 4th grade level so nobody has to think when they read?

There are no bad words, only bad thoughts or intentions. If there was no bad thought or intention in his "whore" (and it seems clear to everybody that there wasn't) than the use of the word can't be bad.

So lighten up...you damn connotation!

None of this changes that he used the word correctly by its definition. It's the connotation you are applying to the definition which upsets you. The word was used correctly, and not as slang.

I think you're still missing something. The word was not strictly used correctly because "whore" has a negative connotation that the poster probably did not intend (which we can only tell by context).

Nobody has made the argument that anything else in the post points to the word being used to show the negative connotation you apply to it. ... The context in which he used the word whore makes it very clear that it was not meant to be insulting to anybody.

I wouldn't go that far. If you don't want to risk misunderstanding, you should use the words closest to what you mean. If you get creative and use words in a non-standard way (for the community you're speaking to) you should be prepared to be misunderstood and asked to clarify.

So while sayjann often seems a little bit lost and his replies aren't always very clear or even relevant, the first response was valid. In this forum, it's a little odd to ask for strict adherence to political correctness, but a little civility and respect can be asked for (even if the slight was not intended).

Actually, there are many more than one. Ever heard of being "a fashion whore",

Those are all really variations of the same meaning (selling "yourself"), and they all do have negative connotations. When people jokingly refer to themselves that way (e.g. "I'm a code whore", a freelance programmer) it is amusing but takes away some of the usefulness of the word.

Yes, they would, if the word were used in a vacuum. But it wasn't. It was used in a context which changes the connotation. Do we really need to sanitize everything so much for the sake of political correctness that reading becomes boring and unadventurous? The language is awesome in that it can be used so many ways to add color and wit. Why is it necessary that we dumb everything down to a 4th grade level so nobody has to think when they read?

We shouldn't dumb it down, but occasionally we'll have to explain our intentions, especially in a forum where there are many people who are not native English speakers and who have vastly different educational and economic backgrounds. But isn't it beautiful how whoring brings us all together?

I was probably too sharp in replying to you.No offence was meant....but I felt you were ignoring the origional post and

diverting attention towards, what you thought, was my motivation for posting.

Reading your post I am also disturbed in what sound you refer to the persons who make your live enjoyable.

The use of the word whore.

However, I got the impression that you look for an insurance that you not catched anything like HIV. Go and make a blood test for gods sake (I know from many guys that they are just afraid to do it, but with any flue they get kind of a unsecured feeling).

That I am afraid , I maybe HIV Posative

However, in the small village my wife comes from (132 persons) 4 people died on AIDS during the past 4 year

"Please do not mention Thai

Statistics ?any one with a modicum of knowledge of Thailand and the Thais,knows

They are 100% bullshit...Along with most of their HIV test methods"...Origional post.

Speak to this guy, he could need the 5'000 Baths you offer

The 5,000b bet is with some villagers who maintain that during Songkhran the sun no longer rises in the east and sets in the West but changes direction.The same people are adamant that up to 5 people in the area have died from Aids.

In the late 80s and early 90s there was a taxi driver named Poon that worked at the Miami Hotel Sukumvit Soi 13. He died of aids a few years ago.

He was hetrosexual and may have also been a drug user. He would often give Thermae girls rides home and try to get a freebie at the same time.

Similar to Johnny Was's report, we had had four young women and one baby in our village near Nong Khai die of AIDs in the last couple of years. They had all done tours or duty in Pattaya and Phuket (The baby, born by an infected mother, was born in the village).

sinsin2: We all would like to believe that AIDS is not caused by heterosexual sex as it really makes the game a lot less fun and quite a bit scary. Likewise, we would all like to think that alcohol doesn't contribute to liver damage and smoking doesn't cause cancer and contribute to heart disease (nice picture isn't it: all the sex, booze, and cigars one would like without physical damage).

GET REAL. AIDS is.

RickF

Archived