Buying a Harley Davidson in Thailand

spirit_of_town_hall

No I will store it at Carew's house. Just put a cover over it and take it for a service whenever I return to Thailand.

Cavanami, how do people get by, how can I own it securely whilst on a tourist visa?

I am a longway away from 50 so cant be a retiree.

STH

Find a friend and put it in their name. I bought a little putt-putt motorbike and it is in the tee rak's name...knowing that at any moment I may lose it and the 20K baht that I paid for it, but WTF, I did the math and the risk is worth the reward.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A mate of mine has 2 Triumphs in LOS but he doesn't live there permanently. I'll try and find out what he does. I suspect the bikes are in his girlfriends name. He's definitely got a license though.

Got a response from my mate as follows:

I wrote: "Someone was asking about owning a motorbike in Thailand. I assume you need a work permit or a wife/girlfriend that you can trust? What about the license, I presume that you have one and therefore they must be available on a tourist visa?"

He replied: "Re. the bike you're right, in your missus name or if you have a work permit in your name. Re. the licence you need an O type visa minimum, medical certificate (can be had for 200bht from any clinic), statutory declaration from your embassy stating where you live, copy of your passport and your drivers licence. Then go to the license centre do a colour vision, peripheral vision, depth of field vision and reaction test. Wait about 30 minutes and you have a Thai MDL! (if you pass)."

An international DL works fine in LOS.

Maybe the year school visa will not work to buy a vehicle, I would guess very possible it will not work.

I have a one year "O" visa, multi-entry and went to the BKK Immi office to try to get the paper that would have allowed me to own a vehicle, could not.

Must have an OA, retirement visa (or work permit).

I don't want to get off topic too far but I don't even think an international license is required to drive it. We get stopped at checkpoints when driving to the gf's home in the south. Only once I was asked to produce an ID. I showed them my license from the US, they seemed happy and let us pass with no fine of any kind.

I only have a Driver's licence issued by the state of Kansas and I have title to an Isuzu pick up in Thailand. I originally paid for it and titled it in my Thai business partner's name. I later got a retirement visa and my wife told me she would prefer to have the truck in either her name or my name, so my Thai business and I spent a day in Chaiang Mai at a government building that looks like a auto service shop (near airport on Hong Dong Rd.). I had my retirement visa, the title to the house, which was in my wife's name (which probably didn't help) and a piece of paper issued by the police department in Bo sand, which aid I was a resident at the address listed on the title to the land. I think that I also brought the insurance policy for the pickup. I don't remember it costing me much money to switch the title. I've since moved back to Kansas but kept the pickup for visits and have the business partner pay the insurance every september and keep the tag/stickers on the pickup current.

Archived