Buying a Harley Davidson in Thailand

spirit_of_town_hall

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't usually like to use Wiki as reference, but I think this one is factual.

An International Driving Permit ( IDP ) allows an individual to drive a private motor vehicle in another nation when accompanied by a valid license from their home country. The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of one's own existing driver's license, complete with photograph and vital statistics. It is not a license to operate a motor vehicle on its own.

Seems to me that this may be one of the bigger Internet generated myths as well as a scams, that is, that you can buy a piece of paper that lets you legally drive in any country, regardless of your license status in your own country. In actuality, there is an international treaty in place (which by the way, Thailand, along with many other countries, has never ratified, but has agreed to abide by the terms) which spells out exactly how this is suppose to work and how each country is suppose to regulate the issuing of the permits.

I drove a rental car in Malaysia for several months using only my US license. Even had a major single car accident in which the car was totaled (obstruction in the road, not my fault), and the insurance paid for everything and I was not cited by Police, they were happy with my English language license.

TH

This is all way off topic of course, but I disagree that Thailand requires an International Drivers Permit. I have also been stopped several times, even given a citation once for crossing solid yellow line, but nothing about the US driver license I showed them. As with many things here, it's up to the individual you are dealing with. In your case, you could have showed him your US license and not the fake IDP you have and he would probably have accepted that. The big issue is what your insurance policy requires in order to pay for an accident. If you think your better off with the fake IDP, then go for it.

For rental cars, their policies only require an International one if your license is not in English.

Here is what Budget says about license requirments:

6. DRIVER’S LICENSE REQUIREMENT

In order to rent THAI RENT A CAR vehicle, a valid driver’s license from the customer’s country of residence is required and must be presented at time of rental. International renters must present a valid license from their country of residence, if the license is in a language rather than English, an International Driver’s permit is required in conjunction with the country of residence driver’s license

Archived