Vista versus XP?

Lusty

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yesterday was the first time I've had a serious go with it and so far I'm very impressed!

What do other users think?

Aren't you a bit late?

If you have to decide wheather to buy WinXP or Win Vista I recommend Win7. I used WinXP, skipped Vista and now run Win7 for some time. Since about four weeks I rn the final Version Win7 Pro 64bit and I'm happy with it.

Yesterday was the first time I've had a serious go with it and so far I'm very impressed!

Aren't you a bit late?

If you have to decide wheather to buy WinXP or Win Vista I recommend Win7. I used WinXP' date=' skipped Vista and now run Win7 for some time. Since about four weeks I rn the final Version Win7 Pro 64bit and I'm happy with it.[/quote']

Yep, Lusty, bad timing for buying a new notebook. Vista is bloatware and needs much more PC power. Windows 7 is how Vista should have been in the first place. Windows 7 will come out Oct. 22.

Vista is bloatware and needs much more PC power.

You are right: Vista is "bloatware" compared to Win XP but I'm inclined to think that Win 7 needs even more PC power than Vista. My PC can run either Vista or Win 7 on different partitions on the HD. When I use Vista on this PC, the Windows Experience Index Score is 5.9 (the max) but when I switch to Win 7, it drops to 5.5 because of the memory (RAM).

You are right: Vista is "bloatware" compared to Win XP but I'm inclined to think that Win 7 needs even more PC power than Vista.

All comments I have read until know claim the opposite, especially users of notebooks that Windows 7 is faster.

Aren't you a bit late?

If you have to decide wheather to buy WinXP or Win Vista I recommend Win7. I used WinXP' date=' skipped Vista and now run Win7 for some time. Since about four weeks I rn the final Version Win7 Pro 64bit and I'm happy with it.[/quote']

You have to bare in mind that in my mind that I've been using XP for five years at home and at work and I'm of the school that say's that if it ain't busted,don't fix it! :content:

Vista is bloated. On my new laptop when Vista starts it grabs 1.2 GB of memory and it has grabbed 20+ GB of disk space! :doah: It always seems to be banging the disk.

I have installed Kubuntu, a flavor of Linux, on a partition. When Kubuntu boots it grabs 0.4 GB of memory and takes less than 4 GB of disk space. This leaves way more resources for my applications to use.

You are right: Vista is "bloatware" compared to Win XP but I'm inclined to think that Win 7 needs even more PC power than Vista.

All comments I have read until know claim the opposite' date=' especially users of notebooks that Windows 7 is faster.[/quote']

The minimum memory requirement for Vista Basic is only 512 MB wheras for Windows 7, it's 1 GB; also the memory WEI score is only 5.5 for Win 7 vs. 5.9 for Vista for my system. So, although Win 7 appears to be faster than Vista, you need more PC power (i.e., upgrade the memory) in order to meet minimum requirements or to avoid getting a lower WEI score.

Archived