Siam Ocean World pricing ( a small twist)

Tyfon

The (in)famous double pricing at Siam Ocean World has a couple of (mitigating) twists.

The prices for Thai citizens are displayed alongside the English sign for foreigners, but using Thai numerals. It is unusual to see Thai numerals used these days even on Thai language signs, so it's obviously an attempt to hide the dual pricing from the casual Farang observer. This, to me is more offensive than the price difference itself.

After a discussion on a.n.other forum I happened to find myself there today so popped down to the basement and had a look.

1) The signs in English and Thai are still above the main entrance (ticket counters) as per their website (which also uses Thai numerals: http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/visitor_information/price.htm )

2) To the far left of the entrances is a sign saying "Thai residents price available. Inquire at the ticketing counter." I 'inquired' and was told that you get Thai price if you can produce: a Thai driving licence, a Thai credit card (my Kasikorn ATM card was deemed sufficient) or a Work Permit. Is this information available in writing anywhere? No. Thinking about it now, I am not absolutely certain that Residents' price = Thai price.

3) The Farang entry price includes the 3D Movie and the Glass Bottom Boat Ride, the Thai entry price includes only the 3D Movie. This accounts for some, but by no means all of the 500B difference between Farang (850B) and Thai (350B) prices. The GBB Ride is 150B.

I have posted on this before. They use Thai script in an effort to prevent Farangs from knowing about the dual pricing. It evidences a consciousness of guilt; that is, the efforts to conceal this information demonstrates they know its wrong, like a child denying that he broke a glass when the evidence that he did so is in plain view and obvious.

I pointed out the price discrepancy once while at Siam Ocean World and the first assumption was that a Thai (the word “traitor†in Thai was mentioned) had pointed this out to me. When I demonstrated that I could read the Thai numbers they were visibly disturbed. You tell they thought this was simply not right.

A few years back, the Minister of Culture complained about teaching Thai to Farangs and suggested that teaching Thai to foreigners should be criminalized or at least controlled in some fashion. Her rationale was that foreigners would “steal†Thai culture. This nonsense from a senior high level government, and she simply could not understand why this just invited ridicule.

Good to know. Not directed at you, but I doubt very many tourists do this before heading off to Siam Ocean World.

But, for our techies here, could this work as an iApp? It doesn't look like we are going to get 3G soon (greedy vested interests want it all to themselves), but when it does come this sort of application could prove very useful for visiting tourists who cannot read Thai (my guess: about 99% of the tourists).

Of course, if we get a government that includes a Minister of Culture that wants to restrict access to the Thai language (she was product of the post-coup government - not surprising), any site with this app would probably be banned. :nono: How many sites do they ban here already???

<>

Gaddie - most of the time I agree with you - but this time I don't - I don;t think 3G offers telco's a significant increase in revenue - given it's now a mature technology and Thailand seems well served by the current mobile offerings - why not wait till something with geater effiancy comes along - better for everyone.

The Telco's who went nuts at the original 3G auctions in the 90's all regret their entheusiasm.

Archived