Options to avoid Potential Overstay ??

gawguy

I'll be going to Europe from Thailand in a couple of weeks. I have a free flight on China Air, but they have blackout days for that after Dec 10. The latest I can come back is Dec 10. My departure for USA is on Dec 28 and I would have come back from Europe on Dec 13 if I could have to avoid overstay.

Can they do anything for me at Pattaya Immigration office? I have a non-O Retirement Visa, One year, one re-entry which I have used already. If I go now before I leave for Europe, is there anything that can be done to avoid the overstay fees. I don't know how they calcultate the days when you show up at airport, but I'm assuming I will have exceeded my 15 day stay by two or three days and will have to pay 1000 - 1500 baht?

Is that right?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, a bit confusing for a simpleton like me, as well.

gawguy, are you crossing into Thailand on-ground? 15 day visas, I believe, are only given if you cross on-ground. You will receive a 30 day entry stamp if you arrive by air.

I am confused at your dates. Exactly, what dates are you scheduled to arrive and depart Thailand?

Ok, I re-read it and it makes sense to me now. You are coming here in a few weeks (no exact date given) and you are scheduled to depart on Dec 28th. With your calcultions, Dec 13th would be the day you have to leave Thailand to avoid an overstay. You said...." I would have come back from Europe on Dec 13 if I could have to avoid overstay." I'm guessing, again, you meant to say "to Europe" instead of "from Europe." That is where I got confused.

You have a few options with the Dec 28th departure, make a visa run to a neighboring country which will give you another 15 days in Thailand. Buy a cheap ticket to the PI or somewhere for a quick trip out and back in. Pay for a 7 day extention then the overstay fee. Pay for the entire overstay fee, which is 500 baht per day (first day of overstay is not charged)

Okay...I'm the one who is not current and may have asked a stupid question.

I have entered LOS with retirement visas for 5 years and have not had issues with Visa on arrival lenghtof stays and visa runs. This time my visa is used up. I will be returning from Europe by air of course, after a month away. I thought the Visa on Arrival was now 15 days, but I see from your response it is 30 days. I believe that solves my problem for a stay of 18 days.

Please confirm if this is right. Sorry if I wasted some peoples' time.

Sorry about the confusion but the rules changed since last I entered without a retirement visa in hand.

Gaw Guy

Helping fellow members is never a waste of time. Yes, you get 30 days on entry by air. Check your stamp at immigration.

This is not a "Visa on Arrival", don't go anywhere near the place that offers them at arrivals, just go straight to immigration and if you're a US citizen they will grant you a 30 day visa exemption. :content:

As Julian has pointed out "visa on arrival" is a totally different thing that applies to citizens of mainly African and other 3rd world countries. If you have a European, US or most other 1st world passport you go straight to passport control and get your 30 stamp.

Simie.

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Good info on the country of passport. Have a gander down at the those who have to process thru like the old office near to TG transit desk at Don Muang! A real lot that is!

NOw, you mentioned OA visa. Oddly enought there seem to be two policies in efffect. I travel so oftgen I've never done a 90 report in like 5 years but the new visa counts for one year from arrival not the date of the visa issuance. I have had both date methiodology applied. Can't wait to see next month. Will I be good for 1 year from arrival or 1 year from Visa date. I know the real answer to the issue is that if you get a year and your OA expires the return, if by air, will be 30 days and alot of hoops to renew the OA. LEgally they can send you to a Thai Embassy out of Thailand since ) are only issued outside Thailand but I know it can be done at both Saphan HIn and Patong Immi offices.

Archived