Options to avoid Potential Overstay ??

gawguy

Isn't "OA" a retirement visa, which you can obtain while in Thailand, no need to exit the country as long as you have a visa that the Thai Immi will convert to the OA visa (an O visa, etc).

Just checked the visa in my passport and it is an "O", one year, multi-entry, good for one year from the date that the visa was issued.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HJ;s post is almost laughable in it inaccuracy.

An OA visa can only be issued in your home country and on entry you get a one year permission to stay stamp. You should get a new one year up to valid until date of the visa on each entry, meaning you could stay almost 2 years on one. There have been reports of arrival immigration only giving permission to stay stamps up to the valid date of the visa. This is typical of the lack of clear communication down to ground level in immigration.

If you stay in the kingdom for more the 90 days you should report your address. Leaving and entering within 90 days is the same as reporting and the clock starts over on each entry. Since with a OA you never deal with immigration itself except on exit and they don’t check address report on exit, there is little incentive to do the 90 day report when staying on a OA.

For those that enter on a Non Imm “O†visa and get 90 days permission to stay, you can in the last 30 days go to immigration and show 800k in the bank or 65k per month income and get a one year extension of that 90 day permission to stay stamp. You can keep doing that for as long as you want. This is actually easier then the OA as there is no requirement for a medical or police report as with the OA.

People never seem to understand that once you have entered the kingdom, your visa is meaningless, it is the permission to stay stamp that matters.

You should do the 90 address report as you are dealing at least once a year with immigration and they can check.

There is theory, which I agree with, that if you leave the kingdom periodically, and especially within 90 days of getting a new extension each year, you can in fact not do the 90 days report with no repercussions.

TH

.....There is theory, which I agree with, that if you leave the kingdom periodically, and especially within 90 days of getting a new extension each year, you can in fact not do the 90 days report with no repercussions. TH

Not theory, but fact for OA retirement visas. If one exits Thailand prior to their next 90-day report, then they obviously aren't in country and do not need to visit Immigration. Upon their return to Thailand, they will be issued a new report date that is 90-days from the day they re-entered the country. Note, too, it is _very_ important that prior to leaving the country they must get an 'exit visa' (except for those with a multi-entry visa), and if an exit visa was not obtained then your OA visa will be _cancelled_ upon re-entry and you'll be give a 30-day tourist visa. If you depart Thailand before each 90-day report is due, then potentially you'd never have to go to Immigration except for your annual OA visa renewal.

You misunderstood my post, I guess I was not clear enough. What I was saying was there is a theory that you can avoid making the 90 day address report over your entire year. Just be sure to leave the country at least once, within 90 days of having to do the one year extension. I know several people on one year retirement extensions (not OA visas) that do this. Not really legal, but it seems to work.

By the way, the “exit visa†is called a “re-entry permit. What that does is effectively keep your current permission to stay stamp date when coming back into the country. Indeed, if you have a single entry OA visa that gave you a one year permission to stay stamp and you leave without the re-entry permit, you will only get the 30 day visa exempt. This is also true of any one on any sort of one year extension.

Any one getting any sort of extension, ether work or retirement, should always get at least a single re-entry permit at that time. Since they no longer give re-entry permits at the airport, if you have to leave unexpectedly, you can come back in and preserve your permission to stay stamp/extension without having to go to immigration first.

TH

I agree the re-entry permit thing is pretty stupid. Too bad they can’t go to a system like Singapore has were you get a green card and just show that when leaving and coming back. No stamps in the passport if you have that. Maybe some day…

TH

This has been discussed many a time...why the fark do I have to buy a Cambo visa, take the bus to Cambo, stamp-stamp and then another 90 days in Thailand...WTF...I will pay the money to avoid the day trip to Cambo and stay in LOS...but the LOS people can't figure this out???

Archived