What's travel insurance do you get?

doris day

I happen to have 'Medical Insurance' thru American Express Card. I think I pay $75.00 per year and something per ticket. Not sure though. Will have to check last trip.

I do have to purchase the plane ticket with American Express for this to apply.

Besides medical, this medical insurance policy will transport my dead body back to home country at no charge.

I don't want to be left dead in Thailand.

Actually I don't know about US contracts, but in Germany those insurances issued by credit card companies are not recommended. They usually come with a lot of exceptions, like plane tickets, train tickets, or even cab tickets need to be purchased by credit card.

Health insurance purchased from specialized companies are usually much more reliable. Personally I don't mind to paying a flat rate of 70 EUR a year for travel health insurance, since an accident/heart attack, whatever, can costs thousands of Euro...

.....the other thing is that they only offer a $250 payout per stolen item. May have to leave the iphone at home.....hmmmm

Most policies have limits on general items however, they tend to make specific allowances for laptops, phones etc ...

My policy allows as standard cover; for a lost laptop, up to $3,000.00 AUD & for a mobile phone, up to $1,000.00 AUD.

Peculiarly, iphones as yet have no specific cover, and I am required to individually insure them on the policy (only costs an additional $10.00 per month).

I do not use travel insurance. Insurance is really a nasty business. This 'style' of planning is really bad for the soul.

Insurance has become and almost necessity, sometimes a legal necessity, for people around the globe and what does it say about our way of life.

Unfortunately, it is the lives we now live in.

Gone are the good old days, like being sent to Australia for 20 years for hanging out in front of a bakery with intent (true story - 1828); decimated in a Roman troop because one or two soldiers decamped during a military campaign.

For the payment of a small amount, covering all of your possible medical bills or claims for negligence against you, IMO is not a bad thing. Of course they (insurance companies) make a killing out of it, but they had the foresight first to become, and establish these large insurance corporates however, the system of insurance cover is neigh impossible unless the greater good provide the coin for those coffers, to cover these incidents.

Again, unfortunately, it is a necessary evil in most instances, especially, in my opinion, for holiday travel

Soon there will be different insurance for everything.

"I know you had bath tub insurance, but you are not covered for a fall in the shower...are you?" said the agent.

"But I am covered in cases where there is ONLY a shower present!", exclaimed the insured, "Look at section 11a under exceptions".

"Ahh yes, according to this you are covered, but only if you were wearing an approved helmet and shower shoes. Did you have these items on? Does the accident report verify this?", replied the agent.

"Errr...welll...ummmm"...

• 2 weeks later...

I usually buy and compare travel policies from this site www.insuremytrip.com Just put in your info and it will give you multiple quotes from all Travel insurers.Check your current health insurance it may cover you overseas.My insurer Kaiser in the states covers members on overseas trips.

Archived