External USB Hard Drive Problem

farangman

I have a 1TB external USB Philips Hard Drive (Model SDES170BC/97)which I use to store all my downloaded TV series from the UK.

Everything was fine until yesterday but now when I connect it to my notebook it doesn't register in my "My Computer" window.

Anyone have any suggestions? ... I'd hate to think that I've lost almost 1TB with of downloads!

Hi,

Sounds like a driver glitch. First thing I'd try is to just unplug it and reconnect it.

I have an external USB drive as well and every now and then it isn't recognized. Usually switching off the PC, unplugging the drive, turning on PC and then plugging the drive in solves the issue.

Sanuk!

Guest HonoluluJimmy

:nahnah: :nahnah: :nahnah: :nahnah:

External Hard Drive

I drive my external unit hard alot. Watch out Morning Night Girls.... Enroute soon!

This happens to me often and I can fix it 100% of the time, but unfortunately, the instructions are a bit complicated.

Here's the short version, let me know if you don't understand and then I'll do a longer version.

A.

Go into Device Manager and delete all of the 'shadowed out' Disk Drives that pertain to your external drive and also the 'shadowed out' USB controllers. Be careful... do not delete any of those NOT shadowed out!

B.

Note that to display the Shadowed devices, you'll have to have ALREADY set an environment variable

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

to value "1". After you do this and re-boot, in device manager, you need to set "Show Hidden Devices" in View.

Sorry that this is a bit complicated. I didn't write detailed instructions and the order might not seem right to you, but I don't know if your machine already has the environment variable set. B is a prerequisite of A!

This has fixed the problem for me 100% of the time!

Note that sometimes just by changing the USB port that you plug the device into can fix the problem.

Archived