Single Malt Whiskeys?

Lusty

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For your continued drinking pleasure here is a list of The Ten Best Scotch Whiskies from The Independent UK

A couple of them blended, but mainly single malts.

For those too lazy to flick through the links, here is the complete list. Refer to Independent for tasting notes.

Although Scotch like any other food or drink is an individual taste, this could be a starting point for your sampling.

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Lagavulin 16 Year Old

Glenrothes 1985

Old Pulteney 12 Year Old

Clynelish 14 Year Old

Auchentoshan 18 Year Old

Asyla

Highland Park

Bailie Nicol Jarvie

Talisker 10 Year Old

Have fun tasting :drunk:

My top malts are:

Ardbeg

Lagavulin

Laphroaig

(all 3 from the island of Islay - beautiful spot well worth visiting)

All very smoky peaty seaweedy flavours... as Laphroaig's motto says "Love it or hate it"

It seems we have almost identical whisky preferences. Add Talisker and Caol Isla to your list and you have my top 5. All from Islay except Talisker which is from Skye.

For your continued drinking pleasure here is a list of The Ten Best Scotch Whiskies from The Independent UK[/url]

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Lagavulin 16 Year Old

Glenrothes 1985

Old Pulteney 12 Year Old

Clynelish 14 Year Old

Auchentoshan 18 Year Old

Asyla

Highland Park

Bailie Nicol Jarvie

Talisker 10 Year Old

How can JW Black possibly be considered the best whisky?! :shakehead I enjoy it with soda when I'm in LOS but it can't be compared with the single malts, even though it is made from single malts.

MunchM,

>>It seems we have almost identical whisky preferences. Add Talisker and Caol Isla to your list and you have my top 5. All from Islay except Talisker which is from Skye.

...I'm glad we agree on some things :up: I haven't tried Caol Isla. I notice on the map of Islay it's further up the east coast after Ardbeg... I must have been too pissed to drive further that afternoon after visiting Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Another good reason to return one day.

I went to Bowmore on Islay also, but it didn't do much for me. Didn't have the distinct strong flavours of the other Islays I like.

The Independent's reviewer probably got a bit of tea money from Johnnie Walker.

Sláinte

I was though in highschool that JW is mostly made from grain, not malt.....

JW Black is blended from about 40 malts and grains (I was once told 47), predominantly malts (coz there are only a few grain whiskies), which are all at least 12 years old and some are much older.

There is a JW experience at their offices in Bangkok, where they show you how it's made.

And here's a list of the most favourite whiskies from the users of the website Whisky Connosr.

1. Glenfarclas 15 Year old

2. Talisker 18 Year old

3. Laphroaig Quarter Cask

4. Aberlour A'bunadh

5. Ardbeg Uigeadail

6. Lagavulin 16 Year old

7. Ardbeg Corryvreckan

8. Ardbeg 1990 Airigh Nam Beist

9. Highland Park 18 Year old Flat Bottle

10. Laphroaig 10 Year old

The link is http://connosr.com/popular for those interested.

Archived