Budget for One Month!

Savittre

Greetings Brethren,

The situation's like this: I have a buddy whose marriage crashed and burned a few months back. His head is really messed up because of that. Suicidal. I've been emphasizing how wonderful Thailand is, because I've been there many times, and he wants to go. Here's the thing- he has to speak with his ex in order to arrange finances, and he figures he'll need about $9,500 American dollars for a month, airfare included. I don't know why he picked that figure, it wasn't on my advice.

I don't want to factor in the airfare, I'm just talking about the money he'll need for LOS. We will stay in mid-range hotels- we're not VIP's, nor do we want to scrimp and save every last Baht. Sanuk- I would pay bar if she's really persuasive, otherwise freelancers and BJ bars are just fine! We both really like Thai food, so we want to go to good restaurants, but these don't necessarily have to be fancy, I've eaten at many great places in BKK and Pattaya that were by no means expensive. I've liked a lot of places that the girls like to eat at,outdoors, not fancy, but good food! I can also remember eating at Lemongrass, which was near the Emporium, Suk Soi 24 if memory serves, and 'Cabbages & Condoms'

In Pattaya I can recall eating a really nice dinner at a place that featured Thai classical musicians and dance troupes performing dances from the different ethnic parts of Thailand. I think it cost about 1,300~ 1,500 Baht, including everything.

Obviously we're dealing with generalities here, but I would figure he'll need 100,000 Baht tops, which is about $3,100 American?

I haven't been fooling around in Thailand since 2002, so I'm out of touch with current prices.

I'd like to be able to tell him that he's not going to need $9,500 USD, and that $3,100 USD -or whatever you guys think it'll be- will do. This might make talking to his ex easier. That's the point of this post.

Many Thanks for reading!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$100/day? Can be done, but I'd hate to try it. Probably have to stick with opportunities that don't have barfines attached; not pay over 1400 for a room; walk instead of taxi; few, if any, "lady drinks"; sightseeing on your own; damsels willing to go for 1000 baht. Your friend's estimate is closer to what would be more enjoyable from my perspective. Of course, people have different interests/tastes.

HH

Not including hotel costs, I usually spend about $1000/week. But I am not a drinker or do the slip 'n slide.

So a rough estimate,

$1500 for airfare

$4000 for 4 weeks pocket money

$1500 for hotel

About $7000 should do it unless he wants multiple girls per day and drinks a lot. Remember the baht is strong and the dollar is weak. :(

Sounds about right, as does the USD9k for a month estimate. I normally have to pull roughly BHT 10-12K per day out of the ATM for pocket money. The odd night I might have to make a second run to the one by 7/11 on Soi 23 (those nights are a bitch :drunk: ).

It really is all about drink expenses. Otherwise, SHYGYE's estimate is spot on. No drinkie, no spendie.

Edit: I should add that earlier in the decade, I'd budget about $100 pocket change a day. Never worked out to plan though.

As HH pointed out 1 Month on vacation in Thailand on 100K Baht is doable but I wouldn't like to do it. When I am back in BKK I probably get through 30K / week on average and that does not include the need for hotels since I live here or Barfines and Taxi fares home for WDJ (the wife would feed the ducks)

So I spend approx US$ 130 / Day 4,000 / Month just living the good life and you are reccomending to your friend he can vacate here on 3,000 Thailand is cheap but not that cheap. Mid Range Hotels are in the 1600-1800 THB band and that would mean more than half of his budget is blown on accomidation before setting foot onto the streets.

I would say USD 6000 as a minimum budget, but of course the more he has the more fun he can have.

I mentioned drinking earlier as the major expense. I should have simply said 'bar expenses' since barfines can add up in a hurry. Getting a girl to just sit with you for awhile or barfining your regular's friends to go out, that sort of thing.

Hopefully, this guy won't find himself in the same predicament on his first trip.

Archived