Have Bike, Will Travel

Ryder

It’s a fact that if you’ve got a bike, you’re gonna be going places no matter where you are.

Thailand is no different. You’re out of the tuk-tuk loop, the taxi-blag and the baht bus rumble.

No longer do you have your hand in your pocket every time you want to get from A to B.

Ok sure you can get around some of distance problems by living in the middle of a town or city, but lets face it, if you’ve been living in anywhere that’s a tourist den you really don’t want to be dwelling there long-term. City centres are for workers, tourists and general entertainment stuff. Good to go there to getting in there, getting your work done or whatever turns your groove. Not so good for living in for any length of time. I’m sure the young, the desperado’s, the extrovert’s and the noise machines out there may disagree but that’s another story.

I’m being sweeping in my generalisation but for the times we’ve been around Thailand, the clued up expats know that it’s in the outskirts or outer parts of a town or city where the good life and biking fun is.

You can be out of the province with ease and on the road in no time. Stuck in a busy town or city trying to elude the traffic hordes can be a pain, especially on a big bike.

No longer do you have the rental conundrums and doubts buzzing about your head:

How much will it be next month?

Is this machine reliable?

Is my passport safe?

What insurance (if any) is there on the machine?

Will there be some hustlin’ about fictitious damage when I come to return it?

If there is and I don’t want to pay what happens if they keep my passport?

I’m not pretending that owning a bike in thailand, big or small is always easy. But it’s a damn sight less stressful than paying dead money to a dealer/trader each month when you own the machine outright...

You can be on the road travelling to some far-off Thai city knowing:

I’ve paid for my own insurance and road tax.

I’ve made sure the bikes roadworthy. No big government telling me I need to get an inspection sorted. I get my own on done!

I’m master and commander of my journey and no-one’s stopping me. No need for a big clunkin’ bus or rickety train you’ve no control of when you can ride!

Fuel bills go down, traffic congestion is a breeze and you’re not stuck in a metal coffin staring out of the wind-screen on every journey you make.

When you arrive at a place you’ve made it! It isn’t just a place on the map, but somewhere you’ve braved the roads and highways to get to and now you’re here!

Night falls and you’ll be wanting to get out there and explore the night scene.

Continued Here...

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc174/Ulysses3100/CBR%20400/CBR400Night.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryder I salute your attitude. I once rode from Phuket to Bangkok on a 110cc suzuki cool in a 17 hour stretch.

I love the little bikes. I can't get a little bike in the US that has a clutch. A nice big bike in the US can cost more than a nice used car. I remember the day I bought my first bike in thailand for what came to be about $500 USD, complete with insurance and inspection.

Anyway zipping through traffic in BKK is a complete rush.

buddha wrote: 'I once rode from Phuket to Bangkok on a 110cc suzuki cool in a 17 hour stretch.

And now your butt is one big callus :D

I agree with Ryder. Getting away from the city avoids the tourists and citified locals. The real people are in the country as are sights, sounds and landscapes that can invigorate those willing to be more adventurous. Nearly two years ago, days after acquiring my first ever motorcycle (a 250 dirt bike), I rode the length of Cambo, Laos (to the Chinese border) and back to zig-zag through Issan, then back home. Nearly 8000-km, with a fair amount off-road into small villages. It was a real joy. And, while 'buddha' may have some butt calluses from his 17-hour journey; I know I got them from my rock hard saddle wink:

Sorry, Ryder, but not all of us share your enthusiasm.

I graduated from my trike at about the age of three, to a little bike (initially with training wheels) and would happily whizz around the garden and the lane.

Eventually got an old Rayleigh (with the Sturmy-Archer gears) that served me well.

The best of the lot was a Camel racing bike - five-speed dereilleur gears was all the rage until Shimano came out with a twelve-speed. I could go sliding into corners with the back brake jammed hard with that bike.

Dad, who used to own a BSA Golden Flash in his time, advised me NOT to graduate to bikes, but cars instead. I think he saw the petrol-head in me.

I took his advice. Probably why I'm still alive today.

The cons for using a bike, especially in Thailand:

- The soi dogs roam in packs, none of them have been vaccinated for anything. I had a friend who was bitten by one while riding his bike. The dog in question was run down by a car a couple of days later and tested positive for rabies.

He went through the course of shots at his own expense ($$$!)

- it may be convenient getting from one place to another, but you still have to park somewhere and come back to it later.

- they get stolen easily. Especially if you have a popular model.

- you're open to the elements.

- the public transport system in Thailand is quite an efficient one if you know how to use it. I leave my car at home more often than not these days.

- I wouldn't want to be on a bike in an accident. Especially here.

- the BiB target bikes. And pickups.

Very seldom do they target passenger cars, and the long-distance buses and minivans probably have some kind of arrangement worked out.

If you're happy riding, fine. I've seen some of your videos, and am curious as to the set-up of the equipment (brand name, type, recording capacity?).

However, it's just not my cup of tea.

I'll get my hat now.

Archived