What bad economy? Pattaya booked!

Steve

Just arrived. Thanks for the posts and suggestions. F**k me if I haven't been looking for at least 2 hours and EVERYONE is booked. Shocked really. Been here at high season without a reservation a few times in the past and always found something even if it was a little pricey.

I'll check out these places suggested on here.

Shocked since the economy is so bad globally. Never seen it like this even in good times.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wily's place was booked but got lucky and inquired (or is it enquired? never could tell which in english class) at another place nearby and the guy had a room from a guest who just checked out a couple hours before. AT 1k a night I am damn lucky. Its not the Ritz Carlton but it has air con and the owner seems a nice enough guy. He even said he'll reduce it to 700 b a night on Monday.

Gonna get some rest and bring in the new year with a lucky BG somewhere. :content:

I don't know why but some of them will just blantently lie on the phone. I've called a place from the airport on arrival before to have them tell me it's full, no space. Not believing them, I got in a taxi and walked in to be given a room and a smile. I don't know what it gains them by lying but even if they say it's full, it may not be.

Probably because often people will say they'll be there and then find something they like more and don't show. At high demand times, hotel managers know they'll get walk-ins' with money in hand.

Looking to change hotels today if I can. Came back with a couple 'guests' (its New Years Eve) and the night lady charged me 200 baht a head and said they can't stay longer than 3 hours!! WTF!! What a rip off. May be 'stuck' staying there. Gonna see if people have checked on. Gonna see if a couple of the hotels on latestays (thanks for the link) which seem to suggest they may have some vacancies can accomodate.

While walking around last night was told they were all booked though.

dddave...what's the point of a reservation system then? If every airline, hotel, restaurant, etc. told a customer everytime one called that it was full, they'd never have any business. :dunno:

CS.....I say forget looking around, bite the bullet and pay the extra 200 baht but tell the staff the girls will leave when you've been satisfied and not a minute before. Looking for a hotel all the time cuts into the enjoyment of your trip.

Friend on mine arrived in Pattaya on New Year's eve and had to walk through whole soi Bukhao asking for room, none available until I got him a room in one shithole on Third Road. The other one is coming tomorrow and got a place booked with Latestays.

I see the expensive hotels have rooms but all the cheaper places are full. People are more aware of what they pay for. Anyway Pattaya seems busier I've ever seen it. The traffic is totally jammed.

Trooper, I must admit I'm amazed at how busy people are saying Pattaya is this christmas/new year. I know it usually is busy at this time of year but I thought given the economic situation etc and how quiet its been the rest of the year it would have been quieter than normal this high season?

My theory is that a lot of people who normally have 2 or 3 trips a year have missed out on trips earlier in the year and are just going at christmas or new year this time?

Simie.

Right after New Years day, plenty of rooms opened up. Seems a ton of folks came in just for NYE and left for other locales after.

Got a nice place now. Only 600 baht, cool staff.

Turned out to be a vacation from hell though. Got sick. Ate something that didn't agree with me. Had the runs all day Saturday. Then started throwing up. Had nothing but water for a day now. I was the only falang male in Pattaya that did not get laid Saturday night.

Then my new ATM card didn't work. Had to have a friend wire some money to me. Thanks! (he's on this forum but won't say whom). Will sort him out after I get back.

The streets were jam packed with people as well as cars NYE. Lots of massage parlors closed an hour before midnight. Quieted down immensely now.

Archived