What bad economy? Pattaya booked!

Steve

I know its the high season. I haven't traveled to Pattaya in the high season in a few years but even when the economy was good I was always able to find a room somewhere.

I thought the city had even got overbuilt. I was very surprised after a few calls to hear that some of the regualar hotels I go to are booked.

Maybe I was naive in thinking there would be ample vacancies. In fact, obviously I was. Coming in new years eve and am a little worried about finding a fairly cheap room with air con.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CS, I think you must have called some of the most popular places there are just so many hotels/guest houses in Pattaya now that I can't believe there are not loads of rooms still available? Not a problem if you just have hand luggage and can take a walk but a pain if you have large luggage. Anyway good luck!

Simie.

I don't know why but some of them will just blantently lie on the phone. I've called a place from the airport on arrival before to have them tell me it's full, no space. Not believing them, I got in a taxi and walked in to be given a room and a smile. I don't know what it gains them by lying but even if they say it's full, it may not be.

The arrivals hall at Subarnapoom was chockers when we arrived yesterday, and we got the last 'budget' hotel room here in Hua Hin : very depressed looking guy stood at the desk last night trying to find a room. If Ms CPs sister hadnt booked for us weeks ago, we would be royally screwed. The bars are chockers, cant get a seat in the restaurants we want to go to and seem to end up walking through every back alley in the town trying to find alternatives.

If the low season was long and painful, it would appear that the Farang (Asian and Caucasian alike) cash cow is well and truly back !

Many years ago the high season used to last from november untill songkran. But these days in real terms its more like just the last week in december and most of january.

Simie.

Agreed. In September I was looking for a flight to LOS from around Dec. 24 to around Jan. 5.

The cheapest direct flight FRA-BKK was 1.100 EUR and at it went up at the beginning of Dec. to over 2.000 EUR.

Albeit this summer I flew FRA-BKK-NRT-BKK-FRA for less than 900 EUR.

This kind of price explosion is a new developement.

:(

Archived