BTS Airport/Downtown

Hugh_Hoy

This was the last published information I saw on it. If you don't wanna click and read the whole thing, here is a small snipet.

Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum had confirmed the 28-kilometre Airport Rail Link connecting Suvarnabhumi airport with Phaya Thai and Makkasan in downtown Bangkok will be in service before April, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Friday.

The State of Railway of Thailand, which runs the project, is in the process of checking technical systems to ensure its readiness, he said.

"The transport minister has confirmed that the Airport Link will be opened before April," said Mr Abhisit.

Link

Would be particularly good, I would imagine, on Sunday evenings or at the end of holidays. Looks like you'd have to take a shuttle or cab from the arrival terminal a short distance to the BTS station. Also looks like a stop at Asoke and end of the line near the Asia Hotel area. Not really much of an option if you have much more than a shoulder bag and one piece of luggage. I'm interested cuz I have a friend who lives out near the airport and I could possibly take the BTS back to Sukhumvit area with a connection via subway.

HH

I know you're not talking about me, HH, but this is gonna be looked at by my room mate for getting to work in suk. We live literally 10 minutes from the airport and this would save massive amounts of travel time sitting in her car back and forth. Bugger is the cost, whatever that will be. Have to wait and see.

Maybe just a technicality, but this is not the BTS. It is owned by the State Railway and is completely separate entity.

I understand there will be a walkway to the BTS at the end of the line at Phaya Thai (near Asia Hotel). The airport express will only run from the Makkasan Station at Asoke and Petchiburi and it will be down to ground level and a walk to the MRT (underground). The Airport Express will alternate with a local that will run from Phaya Thai to the airport stopping at all stations (5, I think). Express is going to 150 baht, with the local at something like 15- 45 baht (depending on length of ride). I do think it will end up being used mainly by local commuters that can afford the fare. The Asoke and Petchiburi intersection is one of the top 5 worst in Bangkok. It could take you an hour to get to Soi 4 in taxi most times of the day.

One thing that is stopping the opening is the SRT union is refusing to allow the SRT to setup a subsidiary company to run the line and has threatened a major strike if they do so. Also, there are issues with the baggage handling at the Makasan Station.

Archived