Bus Phnom Penh to BKK ?

gobbledonk

I did see a train station in Phnom Penh. But the train looked a little rickety.

I think they have one train line in Cambo and the average speed is about 20 MPH...

Haha, yeah, 20 mph on a *good* day. And it only goes from PP to Battambang, PP to Kampot, PP to Kampong Saom (the latter two on the gulf in the south). It would be an experience, I guess, but only if you have loads of time to spare and are into *really* roughing it...

When I did the P.P to BKK bus last year it went kinda like this:

Bus scheduled to depart 0700 from Street 108 bus area by the river. $30US

0745: bus finally full and departs. Not a bad bus, a/c works, seats a little small but not to bad.

Takes the new road to Koh Kong, winds up thru some small mountains and across 5 new bridges, decent road surface.

1245: Arrive Koh Kong, some passengers get off, moto drivers try to snare passengers to border.

1300: bus leaves for border, about a 20 minute drive. Bus Co. rep gives ongoing passegers for Pattaya and Bangkok identifying stickers for their shirts.

Usual asinine bullshit at border: long lines, visa touts, money changers, ciggie vendors, line cutters, indignant youth; takes close to an hour to exit. Thai immigration not that bad, about 15 minutes. Walk over to the van area; everybody just standing around without any answers to when and where.

1430 finally start stuffing us into shitbox vans. Dreadlocked Rasta wannabe's with gargantuan backpacks take up all the luggage space, my bag rides in my lap.

1445 Depart for Had Lek, small village between the border and Trad.

1530 Arrive Had Lek and sit for 30 minutes waiting for another van. Change van twice.

1600 Depart Had Lek.

1650 Arrive Trad bus station. Wait for another van..., make that three other vans, change van again. I should have bailed out here and grabbed a Government bus to Bangkok but I'm just not that smart.

1730 Finally depart Bus station, drive to Trad center, wait 15 minutes more, change van again, head to Bangkok.

1900 or so. Stop in Chantarbury for no apparent reason, depart 15 minutes later.

2345 Arrive Bangkok. Dropped me off on Rama 9, not far from where I live.

All in all, as rinky-dink an operation as you could imagine.

If I ever have to do it again, I'll do the bus to the border but the rest I'll do on my own.

If I ever have to do it again, I'll do the bus to the border but the rest I'll do on my own.

That' how I did the route BKK-Siem Reap two times. With public bus from BKK to Aranya.., Tuk-Tuk to the border, shared cab Poipet-Siem Reap.

It took around 8 hours (8 am - ca. 4pm), while the Kao Shan bussed arrived around 10-11 pm. :surprised:

<< Dreadlocked Rasta wannabe's with gargantuan backpacks take up all the luggage space, my bag rides in my lap. >>

Oh, God ... THEM! I've had enough problems on riverboats with the idiots waltzing around oblivious to everyone else and almost knocking people overboard when they turn around to talk to each other.

Archived