Bus Phnom Penh to BKK ?

gobbledonk

Google "scam bus" Siem Reap to Bangkok especially on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum. Make sure the one you take isn't that one. They deliberately stop frequently, break down etc so that you will eat at their restaurants and stay at their guest houses.

I once took the bus from Siem Reap to Poipet - yes a very seedy place... but I like sleaze.

One or two good knocking shops there a stone's throw from my hotel.

Woke up next morning refreshed, crossed the border on foot, motorbike taxi to Aranyaprathet bus station, then speedy road to Bangkok Mochit.

Just a thought... with new road through the south completed perhaps the bus travels PP > Koh Kong > Trat > Bangkok

Don't miss Angkor Wat though.

:beer:

As Julian2 said, you would probably want to make the trip in two days (with an overnight in one of the hotels in Poipet). You can make it to BKK from Phnom Penh in one very loooooong day.

Option would be to take Air Asia from PHN to BKK for $80 U.S. (I think it was about $45 last Sept. with a 3-week advance booking; special promotion.)

HH

Hi All,

Am considering the bus, as it doesnt look like that route is serviced by the cheap air carriers. Advice most welcome.

Thanks,

Gobble

"Not serviced by cheap air carriers"?! Good god, what do you consider "cheap"? Air Asia, one of the most well-run and reliable airlines in the region, does it round-trip for around 5,000, less if you catch one of their sales!

Barely an hour in the air, infinitely preferable to slogging through Poipet, the armpit of Cambodia, and sitting on a bus for over 11 hours total (not counting changing buses).

Also check out the do-it-completely-online Cambodian eVisa, one way (haha, okay, maybe the only way) in which Cambodia is light-years ahead of Thailand...

I went to the Air Asia site but it would appear that I fucked up the first time - apologies - as there are flights to both KL and BKK, leaving me with a choice between the Beach Club and Nana. Whooo.

Thanks guys.

Bus BKK to Siem Reap is fine, and this takes almost a day.

As others said, flying is the most convenient and a not that expensive option.

Archived