Wake-Up Pills

Fiery Jack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...done research..."

By "yaa baa" we're all referring to methamphetamine, correct? Not OTC pep-pills, yes? Nor a stimulant drink. If so, the 60% figure is WAY over.

Depends on how the study was done and how the questions were phrased. "Do you take stimulants?" is a long way from "Do you take yaa baa?".

Wa-hey! Looks like I started something! I'd never seen any discussion on this subject before on this forum.

It's nice to see you're worried about me, Daeng! No need though. I hardly indulge (the yaa baa anyway) on a regular basis and in any case, I'm back home now (due to need for cash rather than treatment). Anyway, didn't you see the evidence of retained intelligence on my posts on other areas of the board???

From personal experience, I wouldn't say that 80% are "addicts". It might be the case that 80% have used it on some basis, but there is a widespread stigma attached to yaa baa, which doesn't haunt marijuana, that limits its use.

"That figure of 60% is quite accurate. I know westerners and thais who've done research on this. I dont think being a yaa baa user is the sort of thing that some one would admit to a stranger or for that matter some that doesn't do it themselves. "

And how were these studies done if not a stranger asking questions? I might belive it if the question was 'have you ever taken ya ba'. This kind of 'research' smacks of the alarmist kind of stuff people with a agenda manufacture to serve their ends.

I think personal experience is far more relevant in getting a feel for the prevalence of ya ba use in the bar scene, because like you said, it's not the easiest subject to broach.

The people doing and or supplying information to researchers are mostly social workers, who have either worked in the scene themselves or through long time work in the scene, have developed relationships and gained the trust of people in the scene. Its not that different from the west in that there are a number of groups around these scenes giving help for a range of problems. Foreign govts also fund groups or have their own groups operating in Thailand, some like the US quite large.

A large number of research papers have been written on all aspects of the sex and drug scene in Thailand, many published. There are a numerous stories about people who have come to Thailand full of good intentions to do genuine research and have ended up victims themselves !

I agree there are people who are pushing there own agendas with sometimes alarming sets of statistics, but Im sure any one genuinely involved knows what real and whats not, incuding govts. who sometimes seem to be listening.

I think Daeng's correct to say that most Thais (perhaps in contrast to young westerners) will not want to admit using "yaa baa".

Somewhat amusingly, I've seen Thais with young, back-packing farang boyfriends skulk off to the bathroom, often whispering to me with genuine alarm "Don't tell him. Please don't say anything..." It takes a lot of time to convince them that perhaps their companion is relaxed about casual drug use and might even care to share their pills.

BTW, Daeng: It's "pushing THEIR own agendas". 'There' would mean a place. Shocking. Have you been at the drugs again?smile.gif

The original poster should be looking for a drug called Provigil (Modafinil). It keeps you awake without the speedy side effects. Also easy to sleep when it's time. Comes in 100mg. and 200 mg. tablets. It also can be used to reset your clock after travelling over many time zones.

It's not sold in Thailand or Mexico over the counter. Doctors can prescribe it but most medical insurance companies won't pay for it. It's quite popular with people working two jobs that need to stay alert for both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a trip to chinatown and a healthy meal of shark fin. kakes your weiner hard as rock with no threat of a life sentence

shark fin, all natural, really tasty, legal

Archived