Wake-Up Pills

Fiery Jack

There was a handy thread a couple of months ago regarding over-the-counter (be it legal or otherwise) sleeping medications. What about the other end of the stick: after a few boozy sanuk-filled days and nights in LOS I usually need something decent (not espresso or Pro-Plus, for God's sake) to kickstart me in the morning and put my lights back on at night. There used to be some very useful eye-opening pills called Captogen around that you could obtain (legally, then) over the counter but when I've asked for them recently I get stern, tut-tutting stares and shaking heads, implying that they are now taboo. I'm not talking dodgy back-alley stuff here, just whatever might be available in an "understanding" Patpong pharmacy.

Any ideas?

Jack wink.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you considered energy drinks (Red Bull, etc.)? I have no personal experience, but I have heard that the amounts of effective substances in the concoctions sold in Far East are much higher than are permitted in Europe, even when the brand is the same.

My former European girlfriend visited me in Japan, and tried one of the local energy drinks to get going in the morning after a night of heavy drinking. She told that it tasted awful but also really kick-started her.

Wagner

Fiery Jack,

Lipo is a pretty popular energy drink. It's above board so you should have no trouble buying it in bars, supermarkets etc.

It's quite commonly used by taxi drivers working long shifts.

However the best remedy for your tiredness might be a good nights sleep...

Gotta go with DB on this, speed kills. I usually, maybe the third day into the trip, get worn down, a massage and a good nights sleep do it for me, and then I', back at it . Lippo also helps ifyou start drinking it early in the day and keep going with it, I find 4-6 over the course of a day will help!

"kickstart me in the morning and put my lights back on at night".

If you need artificial support to do this then you have worn out your body the previous evening.

The hangover and sloppy feeling the next day are a signal from your body that you've overdone it. This is to prevent you to totally wear out the body to the point that the body cannot serve you any longer. (In clear language: until you wake up some morning and discover that you're dead!) It's a early warning system that we should value, not supress!

Remember, in heaven are no Thai girls, only angels! I think they are boring, so beware!

Thanks for all the decent advice guys. Genuinely. I realised immediately after posting that I'd probably give the wrong impression, but I couldn't be bothered editing it. Should've done. I certainly (at my age) wouldn't knowingly dabble with amphetamines (or any illegal drug, which is why I wrote that I wasn't "talking dodgy back-alley stuff"). In fact, the last time I was in LOS I got some raw ginseng, and that did the trick (though it tasted like shite). It's just that when I come to LOS it's almost always for 4 or 5 days now, so a whole day in bed seems like a criminal waste of time (I can do the long sleep on the plane out or even when I get "home") so I try to soldier on and postpone the crashout a few days, that's all. I lead a relatively boring, regular and, for the last 5 years, alarmingly sober lifestyle when outside Thailand so even just a couple of beers plus the sanuking (and the heat) take it out of me when I'm on site.

I'll try the Lippo and whatnot and keep sucking on the ginseng. I fully agree with the warnings against speed and overdoing it, and I appreciate you guys weighing in. It made me think that if a lot of the high and mighty people who condemn those of us who sanuk in LOS could have read your posts they'd have to rethink and realise we're human and good.

Thanks. smile.gif

J

I gotta say it, because no-one ever does on this forum, that a few pills of yaa-baa from time to time is quite fun..

Of course, excessive or long-term use puts a huge strain on your cardiovascular system and eats your brain away, causing you to become psychotic and it's illegal, so you could end up losing years of freedom in a nasty Thai jail but it does it have a pleasurable side to it.

If you want to do it the sensible way, you should be eating a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg, taking it easy on the booze and getting reasonable exercise which, strangely, does leave you with more energy than before.

Archived