6 vendors, shoppers injured at Klong Toey market blast

Bangkoktraveler

Six vendors and shoppers have been injured in an early morning grenade attack at Klong Toey market.

Four were seriously injured in the attack early yesterday.

The attack marks renewed violence at one of Bangkok's biggest markets.

Police said it was the result of a conflict between Legal Professional, the market concessionaire, and vendors who are resisting redevelopment of the site.

City police chief Santan Chayanont said police had issued warrants for the arrest of three people.

Pol Lt Gen Santan said police were able to identify the suspects from video footage captured by surveillance cameras.

Witnesses said a grenade was thrown at a busy spot at the market about 1am yesterday.

The blast ripped through three stalls between Blocks3 and4 in the market.

Six people were wounded. The four seriously wounded were identified as Yang Sorndee, 32, a helper at a noodle stall; Kerjana Seemuang, 30, a seafood vendor; Kaew Konlak, 28, a shopper; and Rosinee Bunrak, 24, a shopper who is three months pregnant. They were taken to Chulalongkorn Hospital.

The other two injured were a woman named Niya, a chilli paste seller, and an unidentified man. They were treated at the nearby Theptarin Hospital.

Rerngchai Posri, head of the market guards employed by Legal Professional, said he heard a blast and saw a man in his twenties wearing a blue jacket run from the market. He was picked up by two teenagers on a motorcycle.

Watchasit Thammathirasri, manager of Legal Professional's legal section, said up to four people might be involved.

He said the company would pay the hospital bills of the injured and would provide assistance to the vendors whose property was damaged.

Metropolitan Police Division5 commander Anuchai Lekbamrung, said bomb experts were examining traces of the grenade used in the attack.

Security surveillance at the market has been beefed up, he said.

Link

Six vendors and shoppers have been injured in an early morning grenade attack at Klong Toey market.

For a non-expat who's only spent time in past years in Bangkok can someone explain what's going on here?

For one, which market is this? Are we talking about the klong that runs nearby Siam Square, and woudl this be the market that's about halfway between, say, Jim Thompson's house and the last stop on the canal (where you'd get out to walk down to the palace, Khao san Road, etc.)

And who do they figure would have had the motive to be chucking grenades? My first thought would be that the developers would be behind it. Pretty sick if so. I guess it's pretty sick regardless who did it.

Go South on Ratchada from Sukhunvit, opposite side of Asoke and you will find Klong Toey Market, close to Tesco Lotus on Phra Ram IV,

There have been ongoing protests there ever since Port of Thailand sold the land to a private developer who wishes to build yet another shopping mall, do a search and you will find posts I made 18 months ago about bomb attacks at the site.

Go South on Ratchada from Sukhunvit, opposite side of Asoke and you will find Klong Toey Market, close to Tesco Lotus on Phra Ram IV,

There have been ongoing protests there ever since Port of Thailand sold the land to a private developer who wishes to build yet another shopping mall, do a search and you will find posts I made 18 months ago about bomb attacks at the site.

OK will do... so... does it mean the suspicion is that the one I tend to think is behind the attacks is almost certainly the guilty party?

If the answer's unspeakable here, can just say it probably is the way I think it is. Or answer in Private Topic or something.

Archived