A serious lack of education

Flashermac

Hi,

"Can you estimate how far behind a student from upcountry might be from a student taught in a private school?"

Hard to tell and would likely depend on each kid. My wife's son was way behind in certain areas (English for instance) and I don't think he's ever really caught up.

Her daughter is doing better, but moved here at a slightly younger age (P5 instead of M1). Being 5th in her class doesn't necessarily mean anything. This girl was 4th in her class at 3rd (?) grade, but couldn't read!!!!

Sure makes you wonder about the other 25 or so kids that did worse :(

Sanuk!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother who is retired once offered to help the English teacher (a friend of his wife) at the local school by coming in now and then and speaking to the pupils as a native English speaker. He did realise there might have been visa reasons etc for them to decline the offer, but it was eventually declined because his Thai is'nt brilliant and the ENGLISH teacher did'nt speak enough English to be able to speak to him! :doah::banghead:

Simie.

I think there is an officer training course that is available for kids that have done the high school military training. There is a test and if you get accepted apparently offers a life time job with pretty good pay and chances of advancement.

My wife's nephew tried to get in when he finished high school, but did not score high enough and to be honest I don’t think he was exactly “officer materialâ€Â. He screwed around for a year or so and then entered a upcountry local tech school for 2 years getting some sort of certificate in computers technology (which he had some interest in) and immediately got a job in Rayong paying some 18k a month.

TH

The educational system used to be better years ago, when there were nationwide exams to advance. The 4th grade test required students to be able at least to be able to read and do simple arithmetic. If they didn't score at least 70%, they had to repeat the 4th grade. I think the next exam was at the 7th grade, which was the final year of primary school back then. Secondary students had to pass an exam to go beyond the 9th grade, if they wanted to finish secondary school. Universities and the teacher's training colleges both had entrance exams, which weren't easy. Private universities were non-existent and a degree automatically meant a job.

Nowadays, the exams have been done away with. Teachers complain they cannot fail anyone! They are under pressure to move students along as if on a conveyor belt. Every secondary teacher I've talked to has told me they had some students who couldn't have passed the 4th grad exam of the past. :(

<< I think there is an officer training course that is available for kids that [color:red]have done the high school military training[/color]. >>

But only some larger secondary schools seem to have this course. As I understand it, if accepted they also have to study at a university or technical college of some sort. They do their military training in the summer break. A number of my students have completed it. They got their one pip as a 2Lt in the reserve and did not go onto active duty. One told me he could only be called up if the country went to war. Doesn't sound like a career option to me, though it does keep them from being conscripted and looks good on their CV.

Archived