A serious lack of education

Flashermac

I can kinda understand it though with regards to money. My wife's son is finishing M6 in a month or so and we are exploring options. He really wanted to learn interior decoration, but term fees start at 30,000 Baht. Add in other expenses and you're looking at paying 15-20K/month, which unfortunately is beyond our budget.

http://www.studentloan.ktb.co.th/

There was another one that I was just looking at - I thought it was www.studentloan.go.th but doesn't seem to be working.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife's son is finishing M6 in a month or so and we are exploring options. He really wanted to learn interior decoration' date=' but term fees start at 30,000 Baht.[/quote']

30K to learn how to paint a wall seems a bit steep! ;)

No worry Ramon can get him a job!

Hi,

"Anything like that offered at Ramkhamhaeng?"

No. After talking to an ex-colleague who has several friends in that field we've kinda dissuaded him from studying this. According to her it is very hard and there is virtually no work in the field at the moment.

To be honest, I have no idea what the kid wants to do, and nor do I think does he. He is not a very good student (partially due to being lazy and partially due to a very poor upcountry primary education) and I think that part of the reasoning behind wanting to continue studying is to prevent having to go find a job.

Sanuk!

There was also the report a few weeks ago about teachers in Upcountry schools (Lampang? I forget) warning their pupils about mobile telephone calls that would kill you if you answered them.

What chance have the kids got if even their teachers are so lacking in intelligence.

Paul

Tell him to join the Air Force before he gets conscripted into the Army. The RTAF looks like a pretty soft job to me, sort of like the USAF (unless you are actually on a flight crew or something similar).

Keeps him from getting conscripted into the Army too (which invariably means either infantry or artillery). Plus the Air Farce may actually teach him something useful!

My step son sounds like a carbon copy of yours. In the two years that I watched him going to a Thai-Chinese school in C.M., he had homework twice (and once was an art project). Here, at partent-teacher conferences, he talks about his lack of motivation by saying, almost proudly, that he is lazy (one of his handles on the internet is"lazy"). His motivation this semester is to get "A's" and "B's," because my sister told him she would buy him a netbook if he did that. He has no favorite classes (all boring) and has no idea what he will do after high school. I tell him that there's a 250 baht a day job with his name on it if he doesn't want to go to college but the maybe a military disipline (in the U.S. for the college money) wouldn't hurt. He's 15 now. I hope a light bulb goes off in his head sometime in the next 3 years. I do think he's finally learning decent study habits and realizes the importance of turning in homework/required work.

"partially due to a very poor upcountry primary education"

My girlfriends daughter will be moving in with us next term. She is finishing level 6 in an up-country school. GF registered her at Srivikorn School yesterday and her transcripts and tests showed that she was at a lower skill level than the average student entering Srivikorn so she will be going to summer school here to hopefully catch up.

My concern is that, coming from a small village upcountry, she is going to have a bit of a cultural shock and will also be trying to catch-up. Can you estimate how far behind a student from upcountry might be from a student taught in a private school? We don't want her to become overwhelmed by it all.

The girl is in the top 5 or so in her school, athletic, very pretty and makes friends easily. She has stayed with us in Bangkok during summer school and has some extended family here in Bangkok so is not without support besides us.

Thanks, zen

Archived