Laptop purchase in BKK?

Savittre

Had my ASUS almost 2 years, been great. But, if your hard drive is the issue, why not just buy a bigger 2 1/2 inch drive, and if you can't clone it yourself, have a service clone it, probably won't run more than 500 baht.

I kept a 2002 HP Pavilion running for seven years of useful life (I still have it but mostly do only internet on it) by simply upgrading the hard drive (and cleaning fans internally).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are obviously well out of touch with the market as shown by your required specs so I'll start on why you want a 17" laptop. Surely if it is too big to move, a PC would be a better option ?

As a laptop suggestion, a 15" Lenovo B/G550 is a good start (just bought the 450 myself) but Acer do 16"+ in their Aspire series.

Have a look here:

http://www.hwhinter.com/price.php select notebook

http://www.notebookspec.com/web/search.php you should be able to work out the search criteria

I guess you this wasn't aimed at me.

Screen size aside the OP did say what kind of quality he is looking for.

The variation in the laptop market is huge nowadays.

If he is looking for quality and I would recommend Lenovo. Lenovo has high quality parts and an excellent customer service (in Germany anyway, as frequent customer surveys show).

As I said Apple offers excellent value but you pay a premium for it.

6.6 lbs is not "light".

Well, after lugging an 8+ lb. Sager laptop around for a couple years, my 6+ lb. Macbook does feel light to me...

as mentioned 'local/asean' built models like acer, asus, toshiba etc are pretty cheap in LOS, but the specs may be 'slightly below' the latest in say USA.

still at ~20,000bt for a 14/15" LED/LCD with low power intel duo core or similar & all the works HDMI, wifi, BT, LAN, DVD, Win7 OEM, 7-9h battery, 'MAC' style keyboards etc doubt even Lenovo/HP can compete with that in US?

I'd recommend Fortune Town also - you can browse all the Acer, Asus, Sony, Lenovo & more there - and Apple.

With Apple, Sony and other 'name' shops you can get the VAT refund claim done (take your passport or note down its number) and get the cash back at the airport.

It's worth knowing that if you get an Apple - you can get the 'standard' spec and get a larger hard drive installed there and then by them (you just have to wander along to a hardware shop and buy the larger hard disk). You'll get to keep the original 250Gb disk also..(mind you if it's the 17" it may come with 500gB anyway....) and they'll do a great job of installing a glare reduction sheet over the screen, and get VLC, NeoOffice and so on ready to go for you (useful software as opposed to the crapware you'll get pre-installed with an Acer etc).

Think they also had legit copies of Windows XP for sale - should be cheap and worth it to have for bootcamp just in case you need Windows at any time.

Coops

Archived