51 Thai students in US face deportation

Mentors

BANGKOK, March 4 (TNA) - A group of 51 Thai students in the state of Florida, in the United States have been detained and are facing deportation after they did not fully attend classes at a language school, and contradicted the terms of their visas that specified that they were to attend classes regularly, according to the Foreign Affairs Ministry Information Department deputy director general Thani Thongphakdi.

Mr Thani said that all the students were studying at Florada Language School and the school was now closed down.

The school was also charged that it had neglected, not applied sufficiently strict measures to force the students to attend classes while the students held F-1 visas required them as full time students to attend classes regularly, he said.

All the Thai students were charged with violating US immigration law and were not allowed to be bailed out, but they were awaiting to appear before an immigration judge individually to hear their verdicts, he said.

Mr Thani said the students could ask to voluntarily return to Thailand or to fight the case in the United States.

As for the Thai students who were considered violating immigration laws in similar ways but were not detained, he said that they should return to Thailand but should inform the Thai embassy to avoid possible arrest.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs also warned Thai students who want to study in the US to strictly observe the regulations and laws and carefully choose their school.

The 51 Thai students were among some foreign 100 students who were detained by the American authorities. (TNA)

http://www.mcot.net/content/28251

Many of the Thai students I have met here in the USA jumped their visas, got jobs in violation of their visas, and work in restaurants and such. Many have dick head bosses and are taken advantage of, having to work 60 hours a week for shit pay...normally I'd be bitching a blue streak about it, but a lot of them are cute girls who will actually talk to me. One married a friend of mine, cute girl.

A friend's daughter went to graduate school in the States. She worked as a waitress in a Thai restaurant and made minimum wage, but her tips brought her about $2,000 a month. Helps that she's cute and speaks very good English. But she was a legit student. Finished her MA and came home.

On the other hand, I've met some Farangs here who enter a degree programme at a private university with no intention of completing it. May never even attend a class. Takes a couple of years before they get "retired" for poor grades. They use it as an easy visa.

Many of the Thai students I have met here in the USA jumped their visas, got jobs in violation of their visas, and work in restaurants and such. Many have dick head bosses and are taken advantage of, having to work 60 hours a week for shit pay...normally I'd be bitching a blue streak about it, but a lot of them are cute girls who will actually talk to me. One married a friend of mine, cute girl.

I know of one Thai lady who was working illegally under the table. She worked hard and got paid little. She was able to save up $2000.00 dollars. Another Thai Lady she met at the temple asked her to borrow her $2000.00 and promised to pay her back right away. She loaned her the money and then the other Thai lady claims it never happened when she came to collect. Unfortunately that other Thai Lady has done this trick too many times to other Thai Ladies.

It is a nasty business how the Thais fuck each other.

I met my Thai wife in the US when she was there on a study visa to do her masters degree. She and all her friends (20+) never did much studying but all the more partying, traveling and working illegally at Thai restaurants. I think she was making around US2500 tax free every month.

I think the problem (if we are to view it as a problem), is that Thai students have no internal motivation: its ALL about what their parents want for them but when they are an ocean away, that influence and external motivation is not present anymore and there we go! I bet 9/10 Thai students that go abroad NEVER finish their degrees.

On the other hand, I've met some Farangs here who enter a degree programme at a private university with no intention of completing it. May never even attend a class. Takes a couple of years before they get "retired" for poor grades. They use it as an easy visa.

Never met any farang doing this. On the other hand I know a few Burmese and African students playing a similar game.

When I was a graduate student, 90% of the Thai students lived in one apartment house off campus. A Thai classmate told me he lived in the dorm because he wanted to learn to speak English. The Thais in the apartment house spoke Thai all the time, ate Thai food, listened to Thai music etc. Of course, these were the ones that wealthy daddy was sending to study. Those on government scholarships were very hard working.

I've heard Thais complain about graduates coming back from the US and thinking they are special because they have a foreign degree. They'll point out that their family sent them abroad because they couldn't pass the nationwide entrance exam to get into a name Thai university. :dunno:

"...They'll point out that their family sent them abroad because they couldn't pass the nationwide entrance exam to get into a name Thai university..."

They can't get into a Thai uni, but they CAN get into an American/foreign Uni? Mr T did go to bumfuck U in what Kentucky or some loser place like that?

Archived