Soi 10 Bar Beers

Raven

I was recently in BKK and noted the numerous bar beers that are now open on the corner of Sukumvit and Soi 10. They are located directly across the street from the Living Room in Clinton Plaza. It seems to me that Sukumvit has enough venues, but the workmen were busy pounding away at 8:00 on a Sunday evening to put even more bar beers and tourists shops together at this location.

I was with a LT friend, so I did not partake of the ladies here, but I did have a couple of beers and have several observations:

First, I am constantly amazed at the over building and over servicing that occurs in Asia. If the market can support 5 T shirt stands, 20 appear. 20 taxis, 50 appear. It seems to be the same with these Soi 10 Bar Beers. The Sukumvit area is a competitive market, and these are coming along at the tail end of the tourist high season. And, because they are open air, they will have a tough time competing during the hot season and the rainy season that follows.

Second, the location is blatant. Right on Sukumvit Road for all to see. No facade, no alleyway to navigate. Just a bar front with tables and stools and lots of young ladies giving patrons attention. In full view of anyone who passes on Sukumvit, whether on foot, in a vehicle or from the Skytrain.

Third, this may be the missing piece that energizes the even numbered side of Sukumvit. Now, the zone stretches from Soi Zero to Annies, to NEP, lots of hotels and smaller bars between Soi 4 and Soi 10 mostly guest friendly, now Soi 10, and then Darlings and the newly opened Ministry of Sound on Soi 12. And with a few prime vacant lots and an unfinished car park around Soi 6, this side of the street could be wall to wall sanuk in 2 or 3 years.

Fourth, Soi 10 does seem to be a nice addition to the scene. A set of beer bars standing alone with no agogo, no disco, no MPs, etc. I have never been to Pattaya, but I imagine that the Soi 10 atmosphere is similar to some of the bar beers there - pretty laid back.

Fifth, I did not check out the talent closely, but it seemed like everywhere else. Some lookers, many average looking girls (by average, I mean average for the scene and perfectly acceptable to most), and some that you wonder why they are there. I didn't ask, but I presume the bar fine is around 300 baht. Girls all seemed friendly, eager for customers and eager to please. When I wandered back to the toilet, it was a wonderful stroll. Way in the back corner of the maze. You have to pass all of the bar beers (if you choose your route carefully going and coming) and I feel so handsome, loved, and desired by the time I make it back to my appointed table.

Happy Hunting!

Oh, almost forgot. The internet cafe around the corner on Soi 10, right side, is wonderful. Great connection and .75 baht per minute. It has 12 or 14 stations, and all were full with a waiting line.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting post Raven, and I think you are right on with your obervations.

Personally, this time of the year I think the beer bars are just plain nasty. Our hot season has arrived early and, for me, there is nothing worse than sitting in the heat (and possibly vehicle exhaust fumes on Soi 10), getting hot air blown in my face by a fan, and having one or more beer bar turds administer to me.

No thanks. I will stick with the gogo bars and their a/c this time of the year.

On the Soi 8 bier garden - I stayed at the Promenade up the street on Soi 8 my last trip, so spent some time here. The story is that the owner of Soi 8 bier garden is the same as the Soi 7 bier garden. And, if you look, the decor is similar. The story goes that he was afraid the authorities would shut down Soi 7, but that he had a proper license for Soi 8. I got this from one of the freelancers at Soi 7, so who the hell knows if its true.

Well, soi 7 is going strong. And Soi 8 is dead. Never saw many people there. But the bar across the street and down a bit aways seems to be hopping. And Soi 8 was a nice spot for a cold beer on a hot afternoon, when you want a beer more than company. Its a good place for breakfast also.

And you never know what the authorities will do. The fact that they are being hard on Clinton Plaza and let Soi 10 get up and running may mean that they have a grand plan. Or it may mean nothing at all.

Whatever, the development of Soi 10 may actually help Soi 8 get better business. Time will tell.

I'm looking forward to checking these Soi 10 places out. Last summer I became a regular at a couple of Clinton beer bars while staying in Manhattan Hotel just around the corner.

With these new places, my social life will expand greatly without wandering too far from "home". cool.gifcool.gif

."I didn't ask, but I presume the bar fine is around 300 baht. Girls all seemed friendly, eager for customers and eager to please. "

I was there about 3 weeks ago enjoying a cool beverage or 4. Talked to a very nice girl. Nothing exceptional about her, but the entire package was very enticing. Great personality also. Had a few drinks with her. I asked, and she told be the BF was 700 THB! I explained to her that there is no way I was going to pay a BF so far above the norm. Ever! So I just finished by next two beers and left.

Uhmmm.... with her on my arm and my check bin 700 THB heavier. Oh well.

Shotover - I think you have it right. Most of the new "Museum Square" bars are satellites of Asoke Plaza beer bars. And most have at least a nucleus of girls who transferred over from Asoke. Asoke's days are numbered, as subway system proceeds.

It will be interesting during rainy season - I've seen that area under 10 cm of water for many weeks on end - as recently as 2001.

"Let the good times roll!"

B-Fly BKK

Both odd side of the road and even side come under the Lumphini Police district as far down as Asoke. From there on the ruling police district that looks after Cowboy 33, Soi 22 /24 etc is Thonglor.

The score with Sukhumvit Square as has been said is that a number of the bars from Asoke Plaza are moving in over the next month or so due to the fact that longevity there is limited due to the up and coming subway.

The Clinton Plaza thing is an ongoing story and no one knows what will exactly happen there at the moment. Lots of rumours doing the rounds but nothing is set in stone yet - this is after all Thailand.

Cheers

Farangman

Archived