Is Bangkok sustainable ?

gobbledonk

Bangkok and Jakarta would seem, to my miniscule IQ, to be on the road to total gridlock within 20-30 years, possibly less. Both cities had around 3.5 million people in 1970, before the rural masses decided there were better prospects in the big city. BKK is now around 9 million, Jakarta 13.5 million : you dont have to spend long in either city to feel the pressure that has put on infrastructure. Are the Thais doing any forward planning for the challenges of the next 10 million people in Greater Bangkok ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bangkok and Jakarta would seem, to my miniscule IQ, to be on the road to total gridlock within 20-30 years, possibly less. Both cities had around 3.5 million people in 1970, before the rural masses decided there were better prospects in the big city. BKK is now around 9 million, Jakarta 13.5 million : you dont have to spend long in either city to feel the pressure that has put on infrastructure. Are the Thais doing any forward planning for the challenges of the next 10 million people in Greater Bangkok ?

"Plan" is a four letter word to the Thais and completely an unknown concept!

Voters are registered according to where their family is from, not where they live or work. To change is hard for a rural person living in bangkok. Hence everything you say is lies gobble and bangkok has only 3 million people. If there are more name them.

There are more...names, Noi, Lek, Somchai, Moo, etc... :patty:

What about Tokyo? Its mass transit system is completely saturated!

Hey, just because Tokyo has staff to PUSH people into the train cars, no problem.

I was on the train to Shinjuku from Narita airport, with a large suitcase, no problem, just keep pushing more into the train cars...which is OK if you are pushed up against a lovely young Japanese lady :sex:

Just an anecdote.

I was sitting at the Golden Beer Bar/Nana Bar.

Looked up at the utiltiy wires on poles. There seems to be a kazillion wires going in every direction. Are they all being used? Or do they just leave old wires hanging.

In AM or any time for that matter, I look out window of hotel room and view traffic heading in on Nana Nua. Seems to be quite a bit of vehicles all the time.

Where does all the water come from needed in hotels, businesses, and residences? Where does all the electricity come from? And who monitors all such?

cav- make sure you keep your hands in the air lest you be charged with groping!

but yeah Bangkok is sinking faster and faster the more more it expands and builds new structures. That being said, the Thais will in their crazy and zany way somehow make it semi-function, but Bangkok will never ever be a city with decent infrastructure. Thai culture is such that no matter if the answer is right in front of them and everybody tells them the answer, they still go and buy the GT200

Archived