Is Bangkok sustainable ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Tokyo? Its mass transit system is completely saturated!

Hey' date=' just because Tokyo has staff to PUSH people into the train cars, no problem.

I was on the train to Shinjuku from Narita airport, with a large suitcase, no problem, just keep pushing more into the train cars...which is OK if you are pushed up against a lovely young Japanese lady :sex:[/quote']

Nope, Tokyo is doing just fine in regard to transportation. Tokyo has around 12 Mio. inhabitants, greater Tokyo 30 Mio. people. I go there since over 15 years and just spend a week in the megalopolis. The rushhour around 8am aside transportation is absolutely smooth. Trains are rarely late - if so, mostly less than 90 seconds - and on a Sunday, a day with less trains, my waiting time for the next train was max 5 min.

Actually, currently Tokyo has the best and most complex public transport system of the world. No need to take a car there.

Not hard to imagine the Japanese being able to make the whole Megacity thing work - less so with the Thais and Indonesians. Both are resilient, resourceful people in their own right, but the concept of urban planning and development controls seems to be anathema to the way things are done in both BKK and JKT.

The Wikipedia entry on Jakarta needs more sources for the claims made, but I suspect its not the only city facing a difficult future:

By 2025 the population of Jakarta may reach 24.9 million, not counting millions more in surrounding areas. Population growth has outgrown the government's ability to provide basic needs for its residents.

Not hard to imagine the Japanese being able to make the whole Megacity thing work - less so with the Thais and Indonesians. Both are resilient, resourceful people in their own right, but the concept of urban planning and development controls seems to be anathema to the way things are done in both BKK and JKT.

The Wikipedia entry on Jakarta needs more sources for the claims made, but I suspect its not the only city facing a difficult future:

By 2025 the population of Jakarta may reach 24.9 million, not counting millions more in surrounding areas. Population growth has outgrown the government's ability to provide basic needs for its residents.

No worries, the "gang" will make sure that the population is decreased by several billion by that time!

Biggest reason for the fantastic increase in population is the elimination of most childhood diseases. Many people in the past never lived long enough to reproduce. And when is the last time the world had a real plague to wipe out half or more of the population?

Bangkok's problem is the almost total lack of planning ... which is being repeated now in Nonthaburi and Pathumthani. Sometimes areas are build up and the roads are added AFTERWARDS. :p

p.s. When I came to Thiland, the population was a little over 40 million. Now it's at least 62 million. That's a helluva big increase in just a few decades.

Archived