SHow down coming? Or a whole lot of nothing?

Old Hippie

When I read the Thaivisa / The Nation, I think I'm in a war zone.

But when I walk Asoke/Sukhumivit every morning/night - I don't see anything.

Expect traffic today if they do march to Soi 31 to the PM house (even though he has not been here in a long time).

Cheers!

That is my question here/point...even the USA news is reporting on this...I thought something would happen at some point, but when they stormed Parliament with no resistance, I have to rethink that...Still, it seems the reds keep pushing the limit, and eventually some triggering event will set something off...just a matter of to what scale...

I think the government is going to wait them out this time. Though the location is highly visible, the actual damage being done in the big picture is not that bad (unless you are a small shop owner/worker in Central World or one of the other malls that are closed).

What has happened twice now, once at the Election Commission office in Chaengwattana government center, and once at Parliament, is the red shirt leader on the spot gets all excited and exhorts the crowd to do something stupid, he gets a call to tell him to knock it off and then spends some time getting the crowd to back away.

There is a another confrontation brewing right now out at the ThaiCom earth station at Lat Lum Kaew, Pathum Thani, not sure how that will play out, but expect lots of shouting, pushing etc, then they will leave. If they do something stupid like “invade†the facility that would be all the government needs to move them out with whatever force they think is necessary.

TH

Further to what TH informed I will agree the media who live off events like these tend to blow it out of proportion remember there really is no real standard of journalism here like credible sources & checks etc. Any editor will say whatever he feel like & get away with it apparently!

Now where are the disruptions to traffic, shops, bars etc in the capital?

Well for one there's the 2 'static' main sites with rachasprasong road closures extending all the way out to ploenchit/wireless intersection (only left/right turn possible here if coming from suk thus clearly this must extend the ques well into suk rd?

Then there's all the 'mobile' events such as right now at thaicom north of the city & various other planned & everywhere they go they

'll leave trail of disruption along the way :banghead:

Happy new years!!!

At around 12.30 I saw a small Army convoy heading north to Nonthaburi - a couple of buses of soldiers in combat gear (minus weapons!), several trucks and a water vehicle (looked more for drinking than anything). Some of the soldiers waved and I waved back. Poor bastards bundled up in this weather, and I was sweating in a T-shirt. How did I ever do it in Vietnam? Coming back from the market about two hours later, I got a Red Shirt taxi driver. (If he hadn't showed me his red shirt, I would have guessed it anyway from the amulets and magic charms hanging all over the rear view mirror.) He was very excited about the "soldiers coming out". Nice polite guy, but the reds really seem to think thay can do anything they want - and no one is allowed to stop them. :hmmm:

I agree about the media, but I am 1/2 a world away so it is all I have to go on, and what I here from you expats...(How I hate you all with every jealous fiber of my being)...

Anyway, regarding this mess...waiting them out could cause the reds to wither and die off when the funds and enthusiasm run out...would help to disrupt their supply chain. On the other hand, "waiting them out" and doing nothing may cause them to gain face with supporters and maybe grow in numbers...the Government doing nothing makes the reds look invincible.

Reports here in the USA and from what TVisa has to say, the government is moving in lots of troops to wrap this up...or at least keep the mayhem in check...?

In any event, as I have said, I could see some dipshit agitator, on either side provoking an incident that sets it all off. "The shot heard 'round the world" sort of thing/thinking...

Archived