If this was New York

Wallenda

I've made comparisons to my own country regarding this situation in the past. One thought that hit me today: if this was New York and a bunch of Republicans were in town causing trouble like this, I expect they'd be facing a big backlash by the New Yorkers by now in the form of violent reprisals. They'd probably think, you want to use bombs, we'll show you bombs. And then all hell would break loose. And soon the New Yorkers would be more organized and numerous than the out-of-towners and have the upper hand.

Basically, New York wouldn't take this shit. Imagine a Muslim demonstration like this in Madrid or London, or there was one like it in a suburb of Sydney that ended up with the original group of hoodlum protestors having their asses handed to them, running for their lives.

So now it's not just the army that look like pussies to me. I guess yellow seems to be the right color shirt for them.

unfortunately in this respect of handling protesters/terrorists/criminals whatever bkk definitely is NOT nyc!

just having a memory spam back to 1 year ago surely proves that :(

that's why we keep seeing this going in circles which seem hard to break - old habits die hard as they say.

now 2009/2010 we got a fresh breath of air with a PM willing to tackle head on some of the most unfair 'habit's of the country:

*corruption->at least 1 major case was brought to trial & while some will insist this is a 1 sided affair due to vested interests - at least it may mean that 'dictators' will now think twice before ripping of its people too the extreme or even the usual land grabbing practices...

*land taxes->proposals has been initiated by current government & law may be passed soon. while a small step towards more fair-play for the poor & none land owners it definitely is non elite pleasing & controversial call it what you will :)

That's pretty unfair to the military. They have their rules of engagement (ROEs) and have to follow them. I admire their restraint, for clearly the ROEs included "you will not harm anyone."

Blame whomever made up the rules if you must. But I think they were correct as the last thing the government wanted were martyrs. I'd lay odds that that crackpot Seh Daeng's "mysterious warriors" were the cause of 90% of the dead.

I'd say that's a very accurate guess (90% dead by the warriors). Then the initial bomb smack in the middle of the soldiers pretty much nailing all 5 of their casualties, but that bomb/grenade can very likely be thrown by those same pro warriors as well.

So in that scenario they killed most of the reds victims too. Nice :(

As you can see, the reds obviously have more fight in them. If that's what it's gonna come down to, and this is what the yellows are made of (silence and inaction) the yellows lose, period.

If I was a Bangkokian, right now I'd be pretty in shock at what a lame job the army and police have done (abandoning their posts pretty much across town in just about any spot the reds decide to take). It's like, so why do they have all these arms that people paid taxes for if they're gonna let a bunch of thugs take over the city and do whatever they want. Not sure I'm unfair to the military because obviously their rules of engagement are not suited to the task. They did come out and announce they'd clear one location by dusk. The only thing cleared is them. Keep in mind, the military has an unlimited amount of weapons like tear gas, water cannons, truncheons, etc. as well as manpower at their disposal -- and we've seen in city after city how authorities are able to easily take care of a crowd such as this. The fact they couldn't makes them look completely inept -- which really they are. This isn't a diss of individual soldiers, but as a group, it's a completely pathetic performance. Leadership is obviously the main one to take blame in such a case, as in the commanders in charge, the generals or majors who were in charge of training and planning. But again, this is what you get when promotions get based on connections rather than merit. You get commanders who don't know the first thing about how to do their jobs, who don't care to find out. TIT once again. The country that couldn't shoot straight.

I think you are confused. The yellows are not involved in this at all. Democrats/current government does not equal yellows. Yellow does not have any politicians nor is it a political party. Totally different folks.

As far as the rest, if the government used violence, that would be very bad on the world stage and for democracy in Thailand. So damned if they do, damned if they don't, right? I mean, do you condone the actions of the Ohio NG re: Kent State? That's what it seems you want the Thai government to do.

Hey, I'm anti-red at least as long as Thaksin is involved with them. AND I want them gone from the city. But not if it means killing them for doing a (mostly legal) protest.

I wouldn't rule out a final showdown where the 'yellow side' does get the victory, but as of now yes surely the reds won all rounds as I guess with todays 3rd run on thaicom PTV is on air again (with audio+video)? can't seem to find that channel on my true vision, but who cares!

I've made comparisons to my own country regarding this situation in the past. One thought that hit me today: if this was New York and a bunch of Republicans were in town causing trouble like this, I expect they'd be facing a big backlash by the New Yorkers by now in the form of violent reprisals. They'd probably think, you want to use bombs, we'll show you bombs. And then all hell would break loose. And soon the New Yorkers would be more organized and numerous than the out-of-towners and have the upper hand.

Basically, New York wouldn't take this shit. Imagine a Muslim demonstration like this in Madrid or London, or there was one like it in a suburb of Sydney that ended up with the original group of hoodlum protestors having their asses handed to them, running for their lives.

So now it's not just the army that look like pussies to me. I guess yellow seems to be the right color shirt for them.

I am definitely not in the red shirt camp, but in any real democracy, an army will be used to defend its borders or when the country and its citizens are in distress, for example a tsumani, earthquake, etc.... but definitely never against its own people.

That shows a weak democrcy and a weak central governement.

The police and only the police are the ones needed in Bangkok.

And comparing a mai pen rai / it will go away soon mentality from Thailand to New York or Madrid is wrong, but I understand you point :)

BB

Brining in the military is saying in effect that the police aren't worth crap ... which they have pretty much proved against both the red and yellow. But note the Border Patrol police were brought in - a totally different sort of police, but still having no business in the nation's capital!

Archived