Forces gather near Ratchaprasong

Sporty

Published: 19/05/2010 at 06:45 AM

Online news: Breakingnews

Hundreds of police and army, backed by armored vehicles, are converging on the perimeter of an anti-government protest camp in Bangkok, reporters saw early on Wednesday.

Twelve armoured personnel carriers (APCs) with machine guns mounted on top arrived in the Silom business district, where several trucks dropped off troops wearing balaclavas and carrying weapons and riot shields.

Thailand's army spokesman declined to comment on whether a crackdown was imminent on the protesters, who are defying a Monday deadline to disperse after occupying Bangkok's main retail district for six weeks.

"I will not answer any questions," spokesman Col Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said.

Hundreds of armed police were forming lines in Sukhumvit Road, a main thoroughfare leading into the protest zone, backed up by some 20 police vans on the roadside.

Leaders of the red shirts warned late Tuesday that they were concerned a crackdown would be launched at dawn, after the government ruled out negotiations until they abandoned their heavily fortified rally base.

Security forces had battled with protesters since Thursday as they attempted to seal off the protest site, triggering clashes that have left 39 dead and hundreds injured.

The violence, which eased Tuesday with only sporadic gunfire, turned parts of the city of 12 million into no-go zones as troops used live ammunition against protesters, who fought back mainly with homemade weapons.

Tanks, soldiers standing by at Silom

Published: 19/05/2010 at 07:10 AM

Online news: Breakingnews

Tanks, armoured cars and about 1,000 soldiers were deployed at Silom and Saladaeng areas awaiting the order to crackdown on red-shirt protesters at the Ratchaprasong intersection, reports said.

Natthawut Saikua, co-leader of the United front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), said early morning on Wednesday that the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Government (CRES) had sent tanks and more troops to Saladaeng rally site of the red-shirts.

He ordered security guards on duty at all checkpoints to be alert for any crackdown. He told red-shirted supporters to get ready for the situation, while women, children and elderly were advised to move to nearby Wat Pathumwanaram which is believed to be safety zone.

Two army helicopters were seen flying over the Ratchaprasong area, while the red-shirts fired homemade bamboo rockets at them, said the report.

Earlier, military officer used loudspeaker warning red-shirt protesters at Saladaeng to disperse within 15 minutes. However, the deadline had passed by but no military action took place.

Many channels. I was channel flipping but now settled on one as it has continuous footage.

thaipbs.or.th

Now HUGE plumes of black smoke over a large area. I'm sure many folks must be able to see if from their places. I can't 'cause my condo faces in the wrong direction.

Thai PBS is the best of the lot right now.

Army has taken Saladeng Intersection at Rajadamri Road (according to the government - I have not seen the photos yet from TV - the live shots earlier showed them moving in but not through the barricade).

Archived