Obstacles Facing Thai Reconciliation

bust

The only real Thais are the folk from the provinces, salt of the earth types with a smile and a wave for the Farang they encounter - or at least that seemed to be the prevailing opinion of many expats on this board. Sure, they kill a few people every now and then, but that goes with the territory - at least they werent little grey men gathering in back rooms to slice up an ever larger size of the fiscal pie for themselves. Little grey men who clearly dont want foreigners impinging on their nice little feudal society and asking unfortunate questions - questions that we stopped asking in our own countries centuries ago.

Cut to May 2010 and we would seem to have a few BMs who now leap to the defence of the same Chinese-Thais they once (apparently) loathed and despised. Demons to the pillars of a (once) sane society, all in the space of a month. I fear that the opposite hasnt happened, and the power elite will be none too happy with the forgeign media circus around the conflict.

I admit my ignorance in advance. As a matter of fact, if the view of an uninformed farang annoys you (like it annoys me at times in others -- oh the hypocrisy), you should disregard.

My viewpoint is wholly based on limited readings, communications with friends in BKK, and from being there for awhile and listening to some horrible dreck being broadcast on red radio. Scary stuff in its absence of restraint and appeal to hateful emotions.

So, as I hear 'Bangkok Elite' over and over and over to refer to a vaguely defined Bogeyman, and used to justify things like the bombing of the Sala Daeng BTS and murder/maiming of random indiscriminate people, I would like to know who these Bangkok Elite are.

Can one of you guys that keep romanticizing the reds provide some sort of cheat sheet?

I know it's wrong, but what keeps popping into my head when I hear this Bangkok Elite stuff is... MacGuffin.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.

After running searches I still can't nail down who the Bangkok Elite actually are -- but it does seem to be a commonly accepted term in academia.

I think it's been abused by many (hence my confusion), but sarcasm aside -- who are the Bangkok Elite? For people to whom that term represents a defined demographic or group -- who are they?

Serious.

There are 13 Chinese-Thai families (exactly 13) who control most of what happens in Thailand. They have their tendrils in everything, including the seat of power - working with the General, they decide who stays and who goes. Is that elite enough for you ?

The General wont live forever, despite all evidence to the contrary to date.

There are 13 Chinese-Thai families (exactly 13) who control most of what happens in Thailand. They have their tendrils in everything, including the seat of power - working with the General, they decide who stays and who goes. Is that elite enough for you ?

The General wont live forever, despite all evidence to the contrary to date.

So are these Chinese-Thai families Asia's equivalent of the jews, maligned by everybody and considered by paranoid minds and neo-nazis to be the power behind the scenes, when in fact such beliefs are hate speech and delusional?

p.s. Unless I'm mistaken I don't think any of the board's red shirt defenders and apologists actually live in Bangkok and saw them first hand, what they actually did etc. How peculiar. Bangkok folks must be prejudiced. :hmmm:

Why do you assume someone is a red shirt defender because they offer alternate views to the ones someone else holds?

And for the record I was in Pratunam and spent quiet a bit of time aroun New Phetchaburi and Rajaprarop for the first week and a bit of the protest. Was there the night of the first shootings.

Whoever maneouvred to get Thaksin out and Ahbisit in. That would be them. Of course some of the elite sided with Thaksin but lets not make it more complicated.

Yeah, it's obvious there are groups vying for power behind the scenes an no shortage of individuals getting played one way or another in this game.

Fuck me what a tangled mess trying to make sense of it. Running searches has led to lots of rhetoric, I actually like your definition -- though vague (eg, what I would like to know, but I don't believe it's feasible in a realistic sense = who are these entities specifically [name, position, history] and what is their real scope of influence in the country, further - what actions did they take?), at least you point in a direction connected to a reality that can be somewhat validated, understood. Kinda. :)

Interestingly, I came across this post on a BBC forum -- liked what the guy had to say. Just opinion piece, not academic, but made sense to my cynical mind.

------

"I wish to make clear I live in Isaan, Thailand in one of the many small villages. I am not a follower of any particular Thai political party.

The question is ‘Who will win Thai power struggle’, in a nutshell, all will lose.

During the course of the last, politically unsettled, years I have watched the comings and goings of political hopefuls. I have seen the envelopes changing hands from the candidates to the poor Thai villagers containing 20 Baht notes. You may say 20 Baht is not much money, but to a poor Thai it is a lot, it will pay for a meal for the family to share. I have also seen the distribution of 500 Baht notes to get people to attend a rally, of course wear the colour shirt required, which is also supplied, Including transportation from the villages to the rally . Is this not corruption?

At rallies mentioned, people have been killed by someone wearing the opposite colour shirt. Many cases are reported of beatings, and intimidation.

Nothing will be sorted in Thailand until something concrete is done about endemic corruption. This stems from the top, this is what brought the downfall of Thaksin Shinawatra, a man with billions of US$, and a craving for power, what other reason would make him so corrupt. He cheated the Thai people out of millions of dollars in taxes when he sold the Shin Corporation, incidently, was the ‘Straw that broke the Camel’s back’, beginning his end. Even now he broadcasts into Thailand stirring up the populace, a convicted felon.

As for the present Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, has his hands tied by his coalition members. Some of which were once in the government of Thaksin Shinawatra and successive Prime Ministers, they changed sides because it appeared ‘the bread was better buttered on the other side’, a major problem in Thai politics. They are almost like ‘War Lords’, commanding large sways of the population, and moving where they are better served financially.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was democratically elected to government by Parliamentary Rules (drawn up by the previous government), in a house sitting to elect a new Prime Minister. It was the move behind Abhisit Vejjajiva of defectors from the previous government, ie ‘War Lords’, which voted him into power. A democratic election of all Members of Parliament, believe me there was no MP absent that day.

Until corruption is stamped out, or greatly reduced, Thailand will never change, politicians will ‘feather their nests’ by paying for votes, ensuring they stay in Parliament receiving the high payments and perks. This happens in all tiers of government, including the Changwat (Regional), Amphur (District), Tambon (Sub District), and even the village councils. Everyone wants their cut. Who suffers, the poor people and the general public who accepts the bribe, then vote these people into office.

My wife is a Yellow shirt, her father a Red, I am ‘piggy in the middle’, who just wants to live in peace. I am glad I cannot vote, wait maybe they will give me a few Baht."

Link

------------

If anyone has reference material on contemporary Thai history -- critical pieces that aren't outright propaganda, would appreciate.

It's not easy to find.

Archived