Obstacles Facing Thai Reconciliation

bust

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You two should get a room and stroke eachother's .... instead of eachother's egos

:up: Exactly right - what a load.

OK, the OP heading is "Obstacles Facing Thai Reconciliation". You can see evidence of some of those obstacles right here in this thread and on this board: gross exaggerations and distortions of facts. Thai Home has gone so far as to deny there was a coup in 2006.

All sides in this conflict are spinning propaganda. They are lying and they are engaging in gross provocations. It's already very dangerous. And now some farangs apparently want to join this circus and take sides? Throw a little gasoline on the fire. How unbelievably stupid and irresponsible. Wake up. There are no good guys in this power play drama.

Maybe some journo in Oz will take the time now to check into Purcell's claims of being an SAS hero etc. Let see just how much of a bovine defecator he is. This is the guy who was telling the red shirts goring tales of those nasty soldiers slaughtering the innocent hordes at Kok Wua - in return for free meals etc.

p.s. Unless I'm mistaken I don't think any of the board's red shirt defenders and apologists actually live in Bangkok and saw them first hand, what they actually did etc. How peculiar. Bangkok folks must be prejudiced. :hmmm:

<< Thailand remains one of the world's most unequal societies, with wealth and connections commandeered by the Yellowshirt-linked ancien regime. Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's self-made-man brashness was a niggly counter-point to this, and he harnessed the demographic strength of the less well-off majority in the north and northeast to win successive elections. >>

I'm amazed no one has jumped on this BS.

ONE OF THE WORLD'S MOST UNEQUAL SOCIETIES?

I'm from Missouri (well, my great grandparents were anyway). Show me!

Thaksin's "self-made-man brashness"?

Self-made with lots of help from political friends and relatives!

Can you say ... PULP FICTION?

You two should get a room and stroke eachother's .... instead of eachother's egos

:up: Exactly right - what a load.

OK, the OP heading is "Obstacles Facing Thai Reconciliation". You can see evidence of some of those obstacles right here in this thread and on this board: gross exaggerations and distortions of facts. Thai Home has gone so far as to deny there was a coup in 2006.

All sides in this conflict are spinning propaganda. They are lying and they are engaging in gross provocations. It's already very dangerous. And now some farangs apparently want to join this circus and take sides? Throw a little gasoline on the fire. How unbelievably stupid and irresponsible. Wake up. There are no good guys in this power play drama.

You are so full of it. Are you saying my data from the CIA fact book is wrong? That it is nothing more then a gross exaggeration and distortions of facts. Seems to me the statement in the OP was the gross exaggeration and distortions of fact, or more likely an outright lie. Correcting that lie is not spinning propaganda, quite the opposite of it.

I did not say there was no coup. This is a typical hysterical hyperbole coming from you.

You stated that the “military overthrew the TRT in a coupâ€Â. That is inaccurate. At the time of the coup, the TRT was not in power as they had been unable to win a majority of the seats in Parliament in the April 2006 election which had been ruled invalid. Thaksin at the time of the coup was a caretaker PM who had refused to reschedule an election. To say that Thaksin was a popularly elected PM at the time of the coup is inaccurate.

TH

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I usually am, but prior to this crisis there seemed to be a lot of keystrokes dedicated to the mutual dislike between many BKK expats and the Chinese-Thais-with-the-bulk-of-the-money who pull most of the strings behind the scenes.

I have a post here somewhere asking whether we really need every broad expanse of footpath to be occupied by stallholders - I was roundly shouted down with the plea 'how the hell are Bangkok's poor expected to make a living, you backpacking sex tourist Johnny-come-lately bastard ?!?'.

The only real Thais are the folk from the provinces, salt of the earth types with a smile and a wave for the Farang they encounter - or at least that seemed to be the prevailing opinion of many expats on this board. Sure, they kill a few people every now and then, but that goes with the territory - at least they werent little grey men gathering in back rooms to slice up an ever larger size of the fiscal pie for themselves. Little grey men who clearly dont want foreigners impinging on their nice little feudal society and asking unfortunate questions - questions that we stopped asking in our own countries centuries ago.

Cut to May 2010 and we would seem to have a few BMs who now leap to the defence of the same Chinese-Thais they once (apparently) loathed and despised. Demons to the pillars of a (once) sane society, all in the space of a month. I fear that the opposite hasnt happened, and the power elite will be none too happy with the forgeign media circus around the conflict.

If its any consolation, the sizeable ethnic Chinese population here in Oz does very nicely, but they dont run the country.

Yet.

(The above rant has been scrupulously checked for wild stereotyping, hearsay, rhetoric and hyperbole. I was only able to give it 95% because I didnt mention the role of sex workers in simultaneously propping up certain sectins of the economy of rural Thailand whilst providing a focus for the scorn of the Bangkok elite. The rest of it is total speculation, dredged from the back pages of the News of the World).

Archived