What Do the Tourist Police Deal with?

Savittre

Does anybody have any stories to tell about the Pattaya Tourist Police? I've never seen them taking any particular action of any sort. They're there, just hanging around.

What kind of situations do they get involved with? Just curious. And yes, I may ask them myself, but I'm not sure if it would be appreciated...

Being charged 160 THB for a bottle of Singha in a Walking Street Elvis Impersinator bar is low on the list for Tourist Police Complaints.

Now if you had woken up in the morning with the Laptop missing from the room (even though I told you where to gat a lock from) an empty wallet and a sore asshole then I am sure Tourist Police would take an interest, but would you post that in here?

Some years ago, I taught the Tourist Police in Bangkok. One of the lessons had a tourist complaining he had paid 6,000 baht for some jewellery, only to find out later it was worth just 2,000 baht. The tourist was complaining to the TPs, with an appropriate dialogue in English. Every one of the TPs in class said, "So? He paid too much. That was his fault. It's not our problem."

Actually, I sort of agree with them. Same same the Elivs Impersonator bar. Caveat emptor. :)

.....the Pattaya Tourist Police? I've never seen them taking any particular action of any sort.

Well, their primary job is to act as a language liaison between foreigners and the Thai speaking police. They cannot make arrests, but can detain a suspect for the Thai police. Generally they do a decent job, but of course there are a few asses who act like wannabe cops.

Archived