Average household debt over B134,000

Flashermac

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does teacher income depend upon Province? school? ...?

I know a Thai guy in Khon Kaen who just retired at age sixty two this past year, having been a teacher. He said his retirement income is 9,000 a month - so, if 50% is correct his salary would have been 18,000. This guy is pretty impressive, so, I imagine he would have been one of the better teachers - I believe he taught Mittayon (not sure if I spelled that correctly).

18,000 sounds low, but from his age he probably started teaching without a degree - and maybe never got one. Under the old system, would-be teachers went to a Teachers College after completing grade 10. They studied for 2 years, including student teaching, and if successful were certified to teach grades 1 to 3. Most would study 2 more years (student teaching again) and then be certified to teach grades 1 through 6 (or maybe 7 before the grades were broken up 6 and 6). Anyone who wanted a degree (BEd) and who could afford to continue would try to gain admission to a campus of Srinakarinwirot University - then the education university. It was not easy, with very competitive admission - about 60 students admitted in each major at each campus (Bangkok, Bangsaen, Phitsanulok, Mahasarakham and Songkhla). Maybe 10% of the Teacher College grads managed to continue on to a degree, though many more would study evenings (the twilight programme) to do so after work.

Point is that pay depends on educational qualifications. A BEd teacher got paid the highest, with the certificates (primary & secondary) getting correspondingly less. Their civil service rank reflected this.

Nowadays all teachers must have a degree, though in my opinion the teaching qualifications are less. By the time teachers had completed a degree under the old system, they would have done student teaching THREE times. They had to be good.

Archived