Average household debt over B134,000

Flashermac

A few million of them actually. Not all Thais are Goverment Employees, work in Service Industry or Work Bar, but you are unlikely to encounter such people sitting in a Soi 4 beer bar or down walking street.

Ouch .... so there are a few million Thais outside of Bangkok making serious money ? I see plenty of middle class Thais in Bangkok, but that isnt what I asked.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch .... so there are a few million Thais outside of Bangkok making serious money ? I see plenty of middle class Thais in Bangkok, but that isnt what I asked.

No offence meant, but I am sure that you understand where I am coming from.

Not all companies are located in Bangkok, when I worked for a MNC in Thailand the BKK office employed 6 staff whereas office in Sri Racha was over 1,000 staff.

2009-2010 Thailand Salary Guide IMHO this report is rather conservative and many of the salaries quoted appear on the low side.

Not just in BKK but in most provinces I go to I see a far higher percentage of "newish" vehicles on the road than I do "old bangers", not sur how it is in Australia but in the UK the average age of vehicles is older. Remember a New Car here could cost from 1 Million Baht upwards, thats AUD 36,000, far more expensive than your country.

As I previously stated (sarcasticaly) the majority of Thais that Farang Tourist meet tend to be the ones in the "lower paying professions", and may partialy explain the support for "the rural poor" during recent events.

Now I'm totally confused - I thought cars were generally much cheaper in Thailand and Malaysia, as that is where many of them are manufactured ? I remember an Indo guy telling me what he paid for his new 4WD in Jakarta back in 2004 and it was at least 20% less than you would have paid in Oz. I know that imported Ferraris and the like cost a fortune in Thailand because of the tax impost, but your average Ford or Nissan pickup should be a cheaper proposition than Oz, surely ?

<< Remember a New Car here could cost from 1 Million Baht upwards, thats AUD 36,000, far more expensive than your country. >>

However, Thais can drive off in a new car after on depositing a ridiculously low sum of money. They may saddle themselves with payments there is no way they could make, which is why so many new cars are repossessed after just a few months. :p

p.s. There are far more BMWs and Benzes on the road here than we would see at home!

Now I'm totally confused - I thought cars were generally much cheaper in Thailand and Malaysia, as that is where many of them are manufactured ? I remember an Indo guy telling me what he paid for his new 4WD in Jakarta back in 2004 and it was at least 20% less than you would have paid in Oz. I know that imported Ferraris and the like cost a fortune in Thailand because of the tax impost, but your average Ford or Nissan pickup should be a cheaper proposition than Oz, surely ?

The reason cars are high in Thailand, even if not imported is due to the excise tax which can go up to 50% on cars over 3,000 cc. Trucks are taxed at much cheaper rate, but when you add VAT at 7% and municple tax at 10%, it can add a lot.

TH

From what I have seen, up close and personal, the Thais do NOT voluntarily return their vehicles after missing a few payments.

The repo guys come around at least every week, looking and asking, for months!

In the US, I would expect that they get some legal court order and press charges of theft and fraud against the person, not sure about LOS in that regard.

Each household spend an aveage 16' date='205 baht a month last year.

[/quote']

Mrs Mekong nearly choked on her Green Tea reading that.

Per week more like

Living in a rice growing Isaan village I don't see much families having 16K/MONTH to spend, but Mrs and Mr Mekong know better ;)

Archived