Average household debt over B134,000

Flashermac

<< We invented the revolution after all. >>

The French never seem to count that little scrap in North America between 1775 and 1783. I suppose it doesn't count, since nobody chopped the losers' heads off. :dunno:

p.s. Instead we made them move to Canada, play hockey and freeze their butts off! ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh yes, there's that grand period of the French Revolution known affectionately as 'the Terror.'

Ain't it wonderful when you hand over the reigns to the mob? (Sometimes, when the talk about democracy is used to justify any action -- I wonder if people remember that to succeed the West had to institute safety nets and safeguards against tyranny -- both the tyranny of a minority, AND, the tyranny of the masses -- [because without that 2cd safeguard all you have is: mob rule]).

"On 5 February 1794 Robespierre stated, more succinctly that "Terror is nothing else than swift, severe, indomitable justice; it flows, then, from virtue." [3]

The result was policy through which the state used violent repression to crush resistance to the government. Under control of the effectively dictatorial Committee, the Convention quickly enacted more legislation. On 9 September the Convention established sans-culottes paramilitary forces, the revolutionary armies, to force farmers to surrender grain demanded by the government. On 17 September the Law of Suspects was passed, which authorized the charging of counter-revolutionaries with vaguely defined crimes against liberty. On 29 September the Convention extended price-fixing from grain and bread to other essential goods, and also fixed wages. The guillotine became the symbol of a string of executions: Louis XVI had already been guillotined before the start of the terror; Marie-Antoinette, the Girondists, Philippe Égalité, Madame Roland and many others lost their lives under its blade.[5]

The Revolutionary Tribunal summarily condemned thousands of people to death by the guillotine, while mobs beat other victims to death. Sometimes people died for their political opinions or actions, but many for little reason beyond mere suspicion, or because some others had a stake in getting rid of them.

Among people who were condemned by the revolutionary tribunals, about 8 percent were aristocrats, 6 percent clergy, 14 percent middle class, and 72 percent were workers or peasants accused of hoarding, evading the draft, desertion, rebellion, and other purported minimal crimes."

Link

Hi,

Tartempion, when I mentioned to Mekong he should be polite, it obviously meant that you should be polite as well.

Sanuk!

KS,

Please show me where I insulted Mekong in any of my replies to him?

It's when I try to correct some of his erroneous statements that he lashes out at me. Making comment on my lifestyle when he knows nothing about me (and even if he knew) is a no-go, agreed?

Anyway, since I am off to France tomorrow, I still have 24h to study the topic at hand and i found this website: http://web.nso.go.th/en/survey/house_seco/socio.htm

Table 1 shows kingdom wide 2007 M. income to be 18.660THB (thus not the 16220 expenditure or so earlier mentioned). Table 3 shows what I was looking for: income by revenue plage/tranche (translation says SLICE?)

up to 1500B .8% total

3000 4.3% 5.1

5000 10.1% 15.2

10000 27.8% 43.0

15000 18.5% 61.5

30000 23.5% 85.0

50000 9.2% 94.2

100000 4.7% 98.9

<100000 1.2% 100.1

Thus 61.5% of households have LESS than the national average, 85% make less than 30K and 6% have MORE than 50k

So much for Mekong's claims :susel:

And thanks for noting Robespierre was a murderer, some people here DO know French history :up:

Edit: sorry for the bad alignment of totals %, guess this needs code?

Hi,

"Please show me where I insulted Mekong in any of my replies to him?"

It isn't so much that either of you is directly insulting the other, it is more the tone you take with each other.

BTW, those number are for personal income, the original article was on household income (I made the same mistake). So, for household income, you should probably roughly double the amounts.

Sanuk!

TT, we all studied French history in school. But the revolutionary and post-revolutionary period was just ghastly. It led to Napoleon and his wars, plus a bizarre period of flip flopping between monarchy and republic - with royal families taking turns! Finally, the Germans beat the crap out of Louis Napoleon and democracy did take root. :beer:

(Brief, concise, internet style history ... people have short attention spans these days.)

Oh, yeah ... the French Rev also led to a strange war with the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-War

KS,

please consult table 3: first part is per HOUSEHOLD income, second part per capita, table shows income per slice of income, ther % I refer to are those per household, table shows further break down per region.

Table 1 shows income per HOUSEHOLD by source of income, region and area. The 18.660 I refer to is average for the kingdom, total all sources.

As you can see the Greater Bangkok household income is 35.007 and the Northeast 12.995

And this is about the whole of Thailand isn't? Not just the different Thailand's Mekong and myself live in, see the 35k and the 12k :doah:

BTW, those number are for personal income, the original article was on household income (I made the same mistake). So, for household income, you should probably roughly double the amounts.

Sanuk!

KS

I will defend TT in this case, the figures he quoted are "Average Household Income" all be it 2007 data.

In order to analyse the out of date data correctly one needs to be aware of population distribution throughout Thailand, and the number of households, taken from Same Source Table below shows number of households / region and percentage with a household income >50,001 based on 2007 data

Bangkok 1,676,172 17.1% 286,625

Central Region 3,826,630 4.6% 176,024

Northern Region 3,158,420 2.7% 85,277

Northeastern Region 5,019,680 3.1% 155,610

Southern Region 1.979,765 5.9% 116,806

So nationaly there are 820,342 Households with an average income of >50K as of 2007, based on an average of 3.9 People / Household thats approx 3,199,333 people, of which 1,117,837 are in Bangkok and 2,081,496 are outside Bangkok.

The point I was making was in reply to Gobbledonks question "How Many People Outside Bangkok" make decent money, TT's data backs up my comment that there are more high earners nationwide than there are in Metropolitan Bangkok even though Metro BKK has a higher percentage / concentration, which I am sure is a true reflection of any country one wished to analyse.

There is a misconception amongst many foreigners that Metro BKK = Rich and Rest of Country = Poor, a point much emphasised during the discussions about the events of the last 3 months.

I admit I have manipulated calculations in my favour (Households v People) to support my statement of "Millions", but even the raw data shows that there are approx twice as many "High Income Households" outside of Metropolitan Bangkok than there are in it, thus scuppering the aforementionaed misconception.

[color:blue]For the Record, I find the French very considerate people, after all they planted trees on the Champs-Élysées so the Germans could march in the shade in June 1940[/color]

Archived