Off to Burma

skirtlifter

Not implying anything.

:surprised:

TH

burmese-villagers-forced-to-work-on-total-pipeline

Burmese villagers 'forced to work on Total pipeline'

French energy giant accused of profiting as new testimony gives shocking insight into junta's labour regime

By Rajeshree Sisodia and Andrew Buncombe, Asia correspondent

Friday, 14 August 2009

The French energy giant Total is at the centre of allegations that Burmese villagers are being used as forced labour to help support a huge gas pipeline that is earning the country's military regime hundreds of millions of dollars. ....

If you want to really experience Burma catch a flight up to Mandalay and from there a taxi to Maymyo. One of the most amazing places I have ever visited. It's where the British officers were based during WW2 and where George Orwell was stationed. Mandalay is worth a visit as well and if you are really game 10 hours will get you to Mogok the ruby capital of the world.

Just one word of advice never ask them their thoughts on their government.

med_1277273158-896.jpg

med_1277273218-895.jpg

It is now an old discussion if we should go to Burma or not. Some say, no you shouldn't, because of the terrible, inhuman military dictatorship. Others say, you should go, but avoid any travel/hospitality company which is owned by the government.

IMHO, the second option is more helpful for the people in Burma and I thinking of going there this or next year...

It is now an old discussion if we should go to Burma or not. Some say, no you shouldn't, because of the terrible, inhuman military dictatorship. Others say, you should go, but avoid any travel/hospitality company which is owned by the government.

IMHO, the second option is more helpful for the people in Burma and I thinking of going there this or next year...

It would help the people more if we just took out their top brass. Chop the head off the snake so to speak.

Archived