Continuous Quiz - Resurrect your brain cells!

robaus

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup to both of you. Pope JP II visited in 1984. It is customary to decorate the walls of the Grand Palace - including the Temple of the Emerald Buddha with both Thai flags and the flags of the visiting head of state. Since the Pope is the head of the Vatican City, the Vatican flag flew on the walls of the Grand Palace. :)

The Pope rode across the city in his pope-mobile, blessing the assembled crowds, probably 90% of whom were Buddhists. :hmmm:

I've got pics at home of the flags on the temple walls, the Thai tricolour and the crossed keyes of the Pope.

----------------

Catholics in Thailand Remember Pope John Paul II

While only about one half of one percent of Thai's -- about 300,000 people -- are Catholics, nearly everyone knows Pope John Paul II. Those who are old enough, remember his visit to Thailand in 1984, and the meeting between the Pope and His Majesty the King.

Even though about 95% of Thais are Buddhists, Thailand has a long tradition of religious freedom and Catholocism has long been a presence in the country. The Portuguese were the first Catholics to come to Thailand, about 400 years ago.

Prime Minister Thaksin, upon learning of the death of Pope John Paul II, praised the pope for promoting freedom, religious reconciliation and human dignity.

Such is the respect for Pope John Paul II that flags at government buildings were lowered to half-staff for three days throughout Thailand.

Thailand's Cardinal Michael Meechai, who will vote for the next pope, said "the Pope devoted himself to the Catholic community until his last breath."

When Thailand was struck by the tsunami in December, the Pope expressed his sorrow and donated $50,000 to assist disaster victims.

The Pope encouraged Roman Catholic Church relief agencies to give more than $5 million in aid to the victims.

During his visit in 1986 he also went to a Cambodian refugee camp and urged the international community to assist refugees.

Catholics throughout the country met in prayer daily from 7 to 8 PM for one week after learning of the Pope's death.

Link

I can't think of a good one so 2 easy ones.

First, what is the tallest mountain in the world and where is it?

Next, the life of a U.S. President's brother was saved my one man while this man's brother killed said President. Who are these 4 men?

I hope that makes sense.

Tallest mountain - must be a trick question, so instead of Mt. Everest will guess the less obvious:

a. Highest: It is Mount Chimborazo in Ecuador. Yes, Ecuador. (due to... what the Mathematicians call this an "oblate spheroid," which means there is a bulge that circles the Earth just below the equator, so anyone standing in that part of the world is already standing "higher," or closer to outer space, than people who aren't on the bulge.)

b. Highest: From based to peak is...The peak of Mauna Kea is 13,803 feet (4,207 m) above mean sea level, about 100 feet (30 m) taller than neighboring Mauna Loa and about 30,000 feet (9,100 m) above its base on the floor of the Pacific Ocean. By this measurement, Mauna Kea is the world's tallest mountain, taller than Mount Everest, which is the highest mountain above sea level.

PM is correct about the tallest mountain being Mauna Kea. I was kind of misleading by not saying from base to peak as that would have even easier than it already was.

Flash is not correct about the Sullivan brothers. I hope my question isn't too confusing. I tried to phrase it so it would be understood but not too obvious.

Looks like I have a spelling error in there too. I'll repost it here with hopefully no errors.

The life of a U.S. President's brother was saved by one man while this man's brother killed said President. Who were these 4 men?

Archived