Hotel Manila close to UN?

drogon

Any idea if the inter-continental location is good in regards to the UN crossroads please as they have a huge promotion?

The Intercon is in Makati and right next to the Ayala MRT station which connects to the LRT where you're going. Looks easy on a map but, as I've never tried the transit system I can't tell you whether it's preferable to take a taxi.

That area of Makati is nice, but I suppose it depends the work/play ratio of your trip and who's paying. If it's mostly work with girly bars within walking distance of your hotel, I think you'd be better off staying in Ermita. For other ex-pat creature comforts, the commute from Makati might be worth it. :twocents:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks USVirgin.

Never tried the LRT, hence my concern about it and about the taxis of course.

I am afraid I won't have the opportunity to play much with the girls and for the hotel I am not allowed to book a room above 100 euros/night (but seeing that the inter and the Dusit are well below this price I don't worry).

Mi familia says that you can forget about staying in Makati and commuting by taxi to Ermita - more than an hour. When I mentioned mass transit options they laughed, so don't even think about that either.

They didn't know anything about the hotels you mentioned, but they agreed you can't go far wrong at the Hyatt. Trader's was also mentioned - it's operated by Shangri-La, so it can't be too sub-standard.

Dunno. The consensus was, "it's for the poor people (roughly 99% of the population)." Didn't get any answers to its efficiency, as obviously my 'experts' had never tried it. The LRT looks OK to me in the vid you posted, but if you ever saw the MRT or one of its stations, you wouldn't see any western business types about. I have no clue where it goes, or why, just didn't sound recommendable for a commute to the office for the OP. When people laugh and tell you fuggetaboutit, you tend to stop asking follow-up questions, or at least I do. :stupid:

I'd be interested to hear some comments from those who live in/or frequent Manila, though.

Of course there's a class issue, just like Bangers and even here in SoCal where it's difficult to separate people from their cars.

This system was built primarily for people without cars, and it doesn't seem to be routed to take the well-to-do to the places they need to go. Besides, if you're fortunate enough to own a car in Manila, you likely also 'own' a driver or two. So you just sit in the back seat, in traffic, playing around on your cell phone and being important. :bangit:

Thanks USVirgin.

the LRT has a perfect route for me and the station is right next to the company's office so I guess I will go with the 'poors'

No way I would get a damn taxi from Makati to there

Thanks again

How far will you walk? I have used the Lotus Garden and Citystate Hotels on Mabini several times and walked to the UN MRT.

http://www.citygardenhotels.com/lotus/index.php

http://www.citystatetowerhotel.com.ph/

When I was there last the Lotus Garden had a breakfast buffet and the Citystate had a set breakfast. These places are an easy walk to Robinson Mall and some nightlife.

You could keep the difference in price and use it on entertainment or souvenirs or something. Both of these above hotels have been okay for me. I use the nearby "G"Point Pub & Restaurant to book the rooms (no credit card required) even with a small discount too. Daily drink and food specials at this place.

In this "Mabini-Padre Faura-Bocobo" area there are several other places at various prices.

http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/countries_map/manila.htm

I don't have a big problem with taxis in Manila. I wave a moving taxi over and tell the driver to use the meter. If he doesn't want to use the meter I get another one of the many taxis cruising around. Only pay the meter fare and the ride is pretty cheap. I get more taxis who agree to use the meter than not and without any hassle. Some taxis are kind of crappy though. Coming from the airport I always use the "Yellow Taxi Service" now late at night.

Good luck.

Archived