Is it okay to give a Swiss Army knife as a gift.

gladius69

Hi' date='

Thais too have a superstition about giving knifes. It implies 'cutting ties', on severing the friendship.

Sanuk!

[/quote']

Ran into something similar when giving/passing on a knife to the odd friend or two. Both were soldiers I served with "back in the day", one was of Korean ancestry, the other Chinese. I recall both had to give me payment for the given knife. I also remember a Chinese girl I dated, she said something about taping a coin to the blade for good luck & to prevent "cutting the firendship" as well. Now these were big blades, combat knives, large cooking knives, etc. Not sure the same would apply to a pocked knife but who knows ;)

Ahui hou,

Boomah

I think this is almost universal. Buck knife always used to include a coin in the box with each knife, and a card that explained why. Basically, the coin was to prevent the friendship from being cut.

I recall in my early days in LOS, almost anyone I might have given/brought a gift for insisted on paying for it, 5-10 bht. I have also heard of other superstitions regarding certain gifts...such as, never give your boy friend or girl friend perfume/cologne...among Chinese almost anywhere, you don't give your boy friend or husband shoes as a gift...and many more...interesting really.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do remember my first gun though. Some guy with a neat uniform and a very short hair cut was screaming at me. And he told me that that rifle was my "best friend" !

Strong possibility we met/know the same guy... ;)

Ahui hou :beer:

I have also heard of other superstitions regarding certain gifts...such as, never give your boy friend or girl friend perfume/cologne...

I believe that it is actually never give anyone other than your significant-other perfume/cologne. Even your Mom or MiL or brother, et al. You'll get a baht in return for sure. Otherwise is supposedly destroys your current marriage/relationship.

Thanks for the good advice. I will err on the side of caution. Yea, I always carried a knife since I was 5 years old. Now a gun. I remember (in Huntington Beach, California) back in the good ole days. Our elementary school VP was a reserve cop. He had a shooting club for us kids everything Thurs afternoon at the police range 4 blocks away. Every Th Am, we would just strollin his office and leave our .22s against his wall and pick them up later. No problems at all.

I think I will get junior a minimaglite or a snaptogether model.

BW

I have also heard of other superstitions regarding certain gifts...such as' date=' never give your boy friend or girl friend perfume/cologne...[/quote']

I believe that it is actually never give anyone other than your significant-other perfume/cologne. Even your Mom or MiL or brother, et al. You'll get a baht in return for sure. Otherwise is supposedly destroys your current marriage/relationship.

All the Thais I ever asked about that one in the past had never heard of it. So I guess it's not that well known.

I remember (in Huntington Beach, California) back in the good ole days. Our elementary school VP was a reserve cop. He had a shooting club for us kids everything Thurs afternoon at the police range 4 blocks away. Every Th Am, we would just strollin his office and leave our .22s against his wall and pick them up later. No problems at all.

Speaking of the good old days, and your area, several years back there was an uproar when the Navy golf course in Los Alimitos had a problem with coots (mudhens). They invited the Compton gun club to come over and shoot the birds one night. Pissed off animal rights groups when they found out about it. :content:

(Compton gun club sounds like a bunch of gangtas, but it wasn't.)

Archived