Twice the Salary of the US President

shygye

Link

BELL, Calif. -- The City Council in this tiny blue-collar Los Angeles suburb voted to slash its bloated salaries, but some residents suggested nothing short of a total housecleaning would appease their anger.

Under pressure from furious community members, council members voted Monday to cut their own salaries 90 percent, and two said they would not seek re-election.

Four of the five council members were paid nearly $100,000 for their part-time jobs. Other officials were paid far more, and the city manager, who made nearly $800,000, already has resigned. Attorney General Jerry Brown on Monday revealed he had subpoenaed hundreds of city records.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office is investigating allegations that off-duty police officers in the city went door-to-door with absentee ballots last year and attempted to tell people how to vote.

Hundreds of residents packed the community center on Monday to assail council members.

"I can never, ever, forgive you," Marcelino Ceja shouted at the council members who sat grim-faced through the noisy public comment session. "You need to resign today."

This is old news shy dude. Story broke weeks ago. I wonder how many other communities in California have a similar set-up going. First the city passed a bill that let officials set their own wage -- next they gave themselves a series of raises. Ad absurdum.

In 2004 my girlfriend at the time talked me into volunteering with Habitat for Humanity (she was a volunteer manager, and very hot). Most of my time was spent in Bell, working on build sites for impoverished. The biggest irony is that the city itself is very poor by S-Cal standards -- it's definitely NOT middle class. This was a case of people ripping off their neighbors in an area desperate for a better infrastructure.

What's the lesson?

This is old news shy dude. Story broke weeks ago. I wonder how many other communities in California have a similar set-up going. First the city passed a bill that let officials set their own wage -- next they gave themselves a series of raises. Ad absurdum.

In 2004 my girlfriend at the time talked me into volunteering with Habitat for Humanity (she was a volunteer manager, and very hot). Most of my time was spent in Bell, working on build sites for impoverished. The biggest irony is that the city itself is very poor by S-Cal standards -- it's definitely NOT middle class. This was a case of people ripping off their neighbors in an area desperate for a better infrastructure.

What's the lesson?

NPR was reporting that one of these ass hats has a pension of almost $900K a year...WTF?

Archived