Roger Clemens, purjury for legal medication

temfarang

The Congress should be staying the hell out of sports. Waste of taxpayer time and money.

I completely agree with this as well. But the lesson is, when called upon before congress, don't behave like an arrogant fuck. I doubt Clemens will do jail time, just more time and money wasted as the farce continues.

I'm totally against steroids in baseball, just for the record, as recent players should not be compared to the Henry Aarons of the sport. Then again (I digress), I believe speed was in common use in baseball in the 60s, not as a PED, but just so guys could stay awake, what with the late nights and long road trips.

PS. Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost definite that within the lifetimes of the kids being born today, there will be gene therapies available that make steroid usage look as potent as having a cup of sugar water.

Already they've injected gene therapy into lab mice split into two groups, both sedentary, and those that received the treatment became something like 50% stronger - without any significant physical activity. They even dubbed them 'schwarzenegger mice.' And it's just getting started. Experimentation with (and useage) of gene therapy is heavily regulated in *most* countries. Most.

And that's where it gets interesting.

Almost definite that within the lifetimes of the kids being born today, there will be gene therapies available that make steroid usage look as potent as having a cup of sugar water.

Already they've injected gene therapy into lab mice split into two groups, both sedentary, and those that received the treatment became something like 50% stronger - without any significant physical activity. They even dubbed them 'schwarzenegger mice.' And it's just getting started. Experimentation with (and useage) of gene therapy is heavily regulated in *most* countries. Most.

And that's where it gets interesting.

sounds like a type diabetes treatment in some stage of FDA research.

the cut & paste below is 2 years old:

The PPARδ(Delta) Cellular Receptor is involved at the cellular level with metabolism & cellular utilization of insulin, Phase I FDA testing on this new medication to increase the effectiveness of the PPAR receptor increases muscularity & endurance in test animals.

this is not a hormone it is a med that increases the efficiency of 1 receptor.

I take celebrex for a joint injury .. it is a med that effects ONLY the Cox II receptor which is in joints & .. + some other body parts (stomach & ??)

not a buzz in the bottle but stops the ache in 30 minutes for 36 hours.

>I'm totally against steroids in baseball,<

hGH is not a steroid it is a natural hormone..

.. hGH is often called a steroid

if you are against one FDA approved hormone replacement protocol are you against all hormone replacement?

to restrict 1 specific valid area of 21st century medicine because of a social stigma is pretty puritan.

Prior to the mid-90s 'all' hormone replacement came from farm animals or cadavers .. hormones are now produced by 'trained bacteria'

modern hormone replacement is truly 21st century medicine.

or to contend that 1 AMA diagnosed medical condition is superior .. more deserving of treatment .. to another AMA diagnosed condition

BB is on the predicted path to death panels ..

sarah palin for BB commissioner

Isn't there a Kurt Vonnegut story about a society where they prevent any kind of greatness because they want a level playing field. No great atheletes, minds, musicians, dancers, etc.

Damn good story. Wish I could remember it.

"Harrison Bergeron". One of his best stories, in my personal opinion.

The Congress should be staying the hell out of sports. Waste of taxpayer time and money.

I completely agree with this as well. But the lesson is, when called upon before congress, don't behave like an arrogant fuck. I doubt Clemens will do jail time, just more time and money wasted as the farce continues.

I'm totally against steroids in baseball, just for the record, as recent players should not be compared to the Henry Aarons of the sport. Then again (I digress), I believe speed was in common use in baseball in the 60s, not as a PED, but just so guys could stay awake, what with the late nights and long road trips.

PS. Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame!

Agree on steroids. I went to school on a track scholorship and saw the effects of steroids on a few folks. I recal running against pre steroids Ben Johnson and then the minute we all saw him later on EVERYONE knew he was on the juice. Looked more like a body builder than sprinter.

The juiced up players of today makes me revere Mantle, Mays (my vote for best all around player), Greenberg, Aaron, Ryan, Ted Williams, etc. Many were before my time but I saw plenty of clips (thanks Youtube!), read all the stats and found a channel that showed 'Home Run Derby' once as well as talking to plenty of folks who were around back then.

I will digress for a moment. I read a book once (only once...even while in college..hehee) that combined soci-economics and history. They spoke brielfy about sports and there was a part about baseball.

It said in the old days the majority of baseball players were either from poor rural areas of the south and midwest (Mantle, Mays, Aaron) or sons of immigrants in urban areas or city kids (Hank Greenberg, Lou Gherig, Ruth, Musial) It reflected the poor of America.

Going back to Clemens, I really shouldn't care about him anyway. I hate the Yankees and despise anyone that goes from the Red Sox to the Yankees. I shouldn't care growing up a Phillies fan but I just hate the Yankees.

PS: Agree on Rose. I think if he does get in, it will be a very old aged Rose who some new commish will take pity on or even worse posthumously after he's dead. We sometimes don't appreciate anyone until after they are gone.

Steve, I have no athletic stories to share with you because I wasn't that good at any sport. However, when I was about 12 years old and baseball was my life, Jim Bouton's book Ball Four blew my mind with its tales of drinking, whoring, peeping and amphetamine use in baseball during the 60s, featuring our idols like Mantle and Whitey Ford. (say it ain't so, Vinny - Vin Scully, my personal idol).

Another good insight into baseball I'd recommend (because I've only read two books on the subject, lol), is Moneyball . It's about the Oakland A's and GM Billy Beane's sabmetric approach to personnel. It's an old book, but there's almost an entire chapter about Nick Swisher (who's having a career year with the scum Yanks currently). Beane saw lots of value in him not for typical production stats, but for quality at-bats(lots of pitches) that would wear the opposing pitcher out. The A's probably didn't envision him as the slugger the Yanks do now. Whatever, Billy shipped them off as soon as they came of value anyway.

That sucks! I hope to live to see the day when Joe Jackson and Pete Rose get in. Rose's offenses occurred after his playing career. I hated him (being a Dodger fan) but I have to admit he always lit up the field and was perhaps the best player I ever saw. Willy Mays would be the other candidate.

Edit: Forgot Clemente.

Archived