Farang 40'ish wanted for TV Commercial

waerth

A friend, long ago, got a speaking part in a movie called 'Big Wednesday.' He only had one line, one word, and a little close-up on the screen for about 2 seconds, where he yelled "Crashers!" as, obviously, a party was being crashed. He got his SAG card for it, rather, it was a prerequisite for him to be in the Screen Actors Guild in order for him to speak a line, as I remember it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep ... that's why film companies likes to work overseas. No bothering with union rules, minimum wages etc. Some of the "Marines" in The Killing Fields got sent up in Hueys for a scene. They got nothing extra for dong so, but a production member told them: "In the UK, we'd have to pay you 65 pounds an hour for this." And that was in 1982 money!

I had a line ... "Let's go, Marines!" (not that I can act, but because I was one of the few "US Marines" with a US accent.) Didn't make the film though. All you will see is a second or two of me running across the screen in panic - real panic, since a Thai drivers was racing right up my ass! :p

Plenty of non-union productions in LA, but they're very low-budget. For big productions, unions exert control over too many pieces of the pie (resources you need) and will kill the film.

There are some union 'extras' but even on big productions they make agreements to allow X number of extras to be hired outside of the union at X pay.

I worked - for a brief half-year period - as a production assistant (means absolute bottom of the barrel, guy who does any shit work) for a prodco and as a script reader. Nope, never had aspirations to act or direct etc., but the 'assistant' assignments were easy to find. Kinda. Also easy way to meet some of the most pretentious, vapid, wholly self-absorbed people you could possibly imagine. It was a beautiful thing. There is a handful with sanity and talent too.

Would love to work as an extra in LOS and see what it's like. Just experience it. Keep posting Waerth...

Oh fuck, babbling on. God damnit. Why do I always do that? And what, like 90% of it is off-topic, with a measly line at the end kinda topic related. Pathetic.

Truly pathetic.

:)

I knew an American who had a small speaking part in a low budget Amazon type film shot in Phuket in the late 1980s. Since the Amazons had to be topless, they were all played by BGs. According to him, a fun time was had every evening, since the BGs were giving it away. Keep your eye out for any film that features Amazons! :beer:

OK' date=' so exactly how fat are you?[/quote']

I don't know I need to ask Waerth

Not fat is what I would interpretate based on your height to weight ratio, pictures I have of you in profile and I would consider if you are a sporter or not.

There is no one way answer to this! I would send the pictures of people I consider to be not to fat to the casting director and he/she would let me know whom could come to the casting.

As it happened for this commercial I was requested to send 2 people to the casting, one of whom is slightly overweight (small belly) and both people I send are shortlisted! They have 4 people shortlisted, 2 of whom are mine (so I have a 100% score there). Now I am waiting till Friday evening if they actually choose one of my people.

Other modeling agents just send their whole database of people, pissing the casting director of. I send 2 and I have a great score. Doesn't always happen but it is a good feeling for myself and those people. Unlike the other 10's of people that went casting and wasted their money because the agency didn't send the right people. My people are at least shortlisted which means they stand a proper chance at it!

Archived