US Army Recruitment Standards. (You've got to be kidding me....!)

TheCorinthian

<

100 sits

16 pulls

3 miles in 22 min.

And it kicked my ass!>>

One day I made some forms then carried' date=' mixed in a wheelbarrow and then poured 100 80 pound bags of concrete. That is 4 ton of cement!

I told that story to a few young guys and they asked me how many others were helping me - none.

early july i could run 4 miles in 28 minutes [/quote']

Holy shit. That's pretty fucking awesome there for both Phil and Corinthian. I'm beginning to suspect the 'lazy' moniker is a misdirect. I wonder if those reading realize how difficult those times are at 3 and 4 miles. Both of you guys are over 30, no? I think that would put you in the top <5%.

When I was in the Army -- 100% on the run was 11:55 for two miles. After months of running hard I could hit 11:30, and I was considered pretty damn good (not track star level, but in the top 10 of my battalion) -- even then, there's no way in hell I could sustain that pace for more than 2 miles. Ran a 5k recently and was happy to have 8 min mile pace average. Sad. I need to hit the fucking bricks.

Bullshit aside. Props and respect. Not bad.

Ps. - you guys ever try and run in LOS? I ran @ Lumpini a couple times, the humidity and heat is so thick I felt like a water buffalo and was exhausted after 2 miles at some ridiculously slow pace. I had old ladies on crutches passing me by and waving.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WTF? say something new...I was Air assault qualified, ran up and down pollock hill god knows how many times made the mark, so what, I am old and fat now, and it doesn't matter..."...the older I get, the better I was..." how sad for the losers who never were...

1284822247-db100918.gif

I didn't like the ARMY that much. Too many idiots with too much immediate power over your life. At some abstract level everyone is someone else's bitch, but not like there. I also hate getting up early, to this day.

But there were also things I did like. And miss sometimes. It forces you to forge strong friendships that you don't find typically outside that environment, and for me - it brought out a competitiveness.

Hated running when I first joined, and running @ dawn was about the most miserable thing I could imagine.

Pushed by guys that were a lot better than I, started running longer distances at faster paces. Learned you could negotiate through fatigue and pain.

Now I like running for different reasons. But cutting my time down and reaching a level comparable to some of those I looked up to was definitely a proud moment, something took a lot of effort. Without living in the past, I'm fine with leaving it like that.

But there were also things I did like. And miss sometimes. It forces you to forge strong friendships that you don't find typically outside that environment, and for me - it brought out a competitiveness.

[...]

Pushed by guys that were a lot better than I, started running longer distances at faster paces. Learned you could negotiate through fatigue and pain.

Not ever Army at all, but that's very true to this day I get that from compatriots...well, not exactly, but you know what I mean.

Competition and adversity makes you a better competitor.

Archived