best learning Thai Language tapes

OCgringo

Hi......can someone tell me what the best English-thai tapes are?

just simple things, numbers , colors etc

how to order food etc.....the regular tourist stuff

need one that I can listen to in my car

best if it has English word/phrase and then repeats it in Thai.....

I am in California .....

or is there anything like that on the web that has something like this ?

thanks for your advise........

Can tell you what NOT to get. In-Flight Thai. A cd with book. The concept is good....phrase in english, then spoken by both male, and female Thai (Phom and Diishan/Khrap and Kaaa). Trouble is they had someone who doesn't speak Thai write the text. Example: Phom sia chy khrap...supposed to mean 'I'm sorry'. Firstly, it's suppose to be 'phom sia JAI khrap'. Litteral trans is 'lonely heart'. Whomever wrote book was just writting what they thought they were hearing. A literate Thai would have known it's JAI (heart), instead of CHY (chai). Another problem with that is I later read that you only use this term when you are refering to someone who died, or has had something bad happen to them. It's a different phrase that is spoken in everyday Thai.

From my limited experience, you are going to run into this sort of thing a lot. It's VERY fustrating. Every book/cd seems to have different protocals. Just when you think you 'got it', you find out tape/book was wrong, and must de-program yourself all over again.

Choke Dee (good luck)....you're going to need it!!!

ps. expand this language cat to bring up all posts. You can find links to a number of good websites where you can hear phrase being spoken. There is also a course called 'rosetta stone' (????) that is suppose to be good. More experienced members can help you with this.

I would recommend the Linguaphone Thai Language Course. It comes with two books and four cassette tapes.

Having completed this course which you should be able to do within a month or so you will have built a vocabulary of some 500 basic words enabling you to lead basic conversations in a number of common situations.

Very recommendable.

Having completed this course before I ever set foot in Thailand I was surprised to learn how usefull it was.

It is available on the web.

Hua Nguu

I would highly recommend "Learning Basic Thai" by Diplomats Language Course.

It consists of 16 tapes, and a 260 page book of course notes. The first three tapes concentrate purley on Phonetics (tones), whilst the remaining tapes are lessons on different topics such as Meeting People, Asking Directions, In a restaurant etc

Hi,

I wonder how would you rate the level of this course?

Does it start all the way from scratch or?

I spend 2 hours every day driving to work and could do with listining to some thai language tapes while driving.

I checked the price on the web, seems rather pricey though.

Hua Nguu

It is o.k. for a beginner. as it starts with tones and moves on from there. It also has a text book, so I think the lessons will progr3ess to a point where you will have to use the book with the tape, making driving difficult. I do listen to the tapes, as I think it does help to hear the language. I got the set for $45-50usd or so. One of the book stores on Sukhumvit. Not to bad really. not sure what they are chargeing on the net? for home learning. Rosetta Stone is decent. They offer on line as well as buying the set outright. I think $200usd or so. or $20/month for on line learning. I think it is a decent way to learn,the trouble is you need to be in front of a computer.

Archived