THAI IMMIGRATION INTRODUCES JAIL TIME FOR OVERSTAYERS

Nervous God

Personally I don't blame them think the Thai's have been very lenient with over stayers in the past. Except in genuine cases such as medical emergency I've no sympathy with the overstayers what so ever.

Being an illegal immigrant is a crime whether its in Thailand, UK, USA or where ever.

The ironic thing is that many of the Brits staying illegally or living in places such as Pattaya without the correct type of visa are the same people who want harsh sanctions for foreigners doing exactly the same thing in the UK!

Simie.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thai government keeps changing the goal posts for immigration. They did away with 30 day visa runs, which caused my cousin to leave Thailand (he lived in Chiang Rai for 5 years and had a pretty easy run) and my wife's best friend's lesbian companion (I don't think that there was any way she could get a proper visa). The difference between Thai and U.S. immigration policy is that the U.S. is tough on getting a visa, both on documentation and the time it takes, but once you have it, you can be assured that, as long as the visa is valid, you won't be harrassed by U.S. immigration officials. In Thailand, the visa is relatively easy to get (if you have the 400,000 or 800,000 baht in bank account, or a letter from your embassy/consulate saying you receive the equaliant amount every year) but they make you jump through hoops afterward, with the 90 days reporting and the re-entry visa scam. And, Thai visa law is subjective, depending on which office you go to and possibly how much tea money you can afford. I'm not exactly sure why this action is being taken. Its not as if Thai hospitals are required to treat everyone who comes through their doors. There is no financial assistance to foreigners in Thailand, by using the Thai school system for their kids for example. Instead of putting someone in jail for two days for being more than 6 weeks overstayed, why not just continue the 500 baht to every day overstayed. That would come to 182,500 baht ($6,083.33) per year. The two day jail time would cost Thailand money. Charging 500 baht per day with no upper limit could be a big money maker for Thailand.

Just under 2 years. And I agree with you about how overstayers should be charged. I think it shouldn't be capped and if it is, it should be way over 20k. I think Thailand makes it way too easy to overstay. I am not trying to make excuses for what I or any other overstayer does. It's against the law. I have paid in more ways than you guys will ever know and I will suffer for what I did for the rest of my life. With that said, I didn't try to take advantage of any system, I didn't ask Thailand to help me out financially and I didn't take a job away from a Thai person. On the contrary, I contributed money (when I had it) to the economy. Not just the nightlife but other ways as well.

Back on topic, I think capping the overstay at 20k is too low. It should just be let to run at 500 per day. And I agree with the jailtime also. I think if I'd have spent a couple days in jail the first time I overstayed, I wouldn't have overstayed this time.

Nothing is new, except for a 20 day window of extortion opportunity.

What an ignorant post

Previously it was just fine of 500 THB / Day up to a 20K Max. I know Perv did 2 years and also another friend of mine overstayed 5 years paid his 20K flew to Singapore with correct paperwork and came back 3 days later with a 12 month Non-Imm B Visa.

Previously there was never the threat of "Personna Non Gratia" or time in IDC, it is a Major Change of attitude from Immigration, it must be the fancy new offices they are now in.

In Thailand, the visa is relatively easy to get (if you have the 400,000 or 800,000 baht in bank account, or a letter from your embassy/consulate saying you receive the equaliant amount every year) but they make you jump through hoops afterward, with the 90 days reporting and the re-entry visa scam.

400K for Non-Imm O No, if wife has assets of >400K or an income of >40K/Month just delare her assets / income, it is per Couple not the fact that the Farang has balance or Income. Also there are many more ways to get a visa than the Marriage and Retirement routes you referred to with the figures quoted.

90 day reporting is not that much of an issue, it does not have to be done in person just download form TM47 fill it in sign it and attach a photo and send someone to report on your behalf.

Many countries operate the exit / re-entry visa policy, not just Thailand, it also goes on a lot in the Middle East. It is basicaly to ensure that anyone in Kingdom is not leaving with unpaid debt or outstanding taxes (if on a non-imm B) its not a scam.

Getting a Shengen Visa for a Thai to EU is more of a scam. Our marriage is registered with British Embassy and we have papers to prove it, wife has an invitation letter issued by the company hiring my services, she owns property and land in Thailand and is in a very well paid (by Thai Standards) job, yet the Spanish Embassy in BKK still insisted that I got proof of my address here in Madrid notorized by local police department before processing the application.

What an ignorant post

As always, I am very impressed with the dignity of your replies. And the post is not at all ignorant, because by law you could always get jailtime for overstaying. I am just surprised they let everybody get away with a 20,000 baht fine, when there is such an excellent opportunity to supplement their income. No easier prey than a foreigner with a nonrefundable ticket in his hand and ATMs all around!

I am just surprised they let everybody get away with a 20,000 baht fine, when there is such an excellent opportunity to supplement their income. No easier prey than a foreigner with a nonrefundable ticket in his hand and ATMs all around!

When I was paying the 20k, the guy asked me if I wanted a receipt. I, of course, said yes but on reflecting just afterwards, I would have fully expected him to pocket some if not all of the 20k in cash that I just handed him. I'm sure some guys supplement their whiskey habit that way.

Would you care to quote which statute of the Thai Criminal Justice System you are referring to?

Whilst I have heard of foreigners spending time in IDC after being picked up overstaying wholst out and about I have never ONCE heard of someone being sent to IDC upon exiting the Kingdom and offering to pay the overstay fine.

Skydiver said "Nothing is New", and that is what I refered to as ignorant, Immigration have allegedly come out and stated a sliding scale of punishments dependent on lenght of overstay when foreigner tries to leave Kingdom. I am sorry tallie that is very new.

Archived